A mum spent three nights in hospital with bacterial pneumonia which she claims is because of mould in her bathroom.

Alison McGregor said the situation at her home in Perth, Scotland is so bad that her five-year-old son had to miss nursery.

The 39-year-old claims her daughter, 12, and her partner suffer similar symptoms such as nasal congestion, wheezing, chest tightness, coughing and throat irritation due to the inhalation of mould fragments or spores.

The mum-of-two has said the issue has progressively worsened over the last 16 months.

She has now called on Fairfield Housing Co-operative to revamp her bathroom and keep her family safe.

Alison McGregor is angry about the mould

She said: “It is a matter of public health. There is dry rot and mould spores in the bathroom.

“There were wet marks on the extractor fan and more on the ceiling. It started to affect the woodwork around the bath and sink.

“I noticed the health affects and we started getting ill more regularly. It was not like that before.

“I was in hospital for three days as a result. They said to me that I had a form of bacterial pneumonia.

“My son had to take time off nursery.

“Every fortnight my son has been ill and has been the case for the last two or three months.

“It is not carbon monoxide because of the monitors and we check the alarm on a regular basis.

“The other rooms are fine.

“But the bathroom has gotten very mouldy.”

Alison claims she was hospitalised

Alison added the issue may be starting to affect the flooring in the bathroom as a result.

She continued:“The mould started to get into the hall floor, there is a gap under the door.

“We also bought three new radiators at £150 to replace the old ones that weren’t working properly, and they won’t compensate us for them.

“The bathroom floor is starting to sink to the left.

“It is a health and safety hazard because we all use the bathroom during the night.

“One of my kids could come in and trip and smack their head on the toilet bowl.”

Alison claims she has contacted Fairfield several times about the issue over the past 18 months, but the housing co-op insists it had “no knowledge” of an issue until being made aware of the need to repair the floor in November last year.

A spokesperson said: “Since becoming aware of the repair we have visited and inspected the property on a number of different occasions with various differing repairs being instructed and completed.

She wants the housing association to help

“An inspection by our technically qualified maintenance advisor identified that further repairs to the bathroom which included removal of sanitary ware to allow for the levelling and replacement of any damaged flooring.

“Our findings did not highlight any evidence of dry rot in the property.

“Unfortunately the co-operative has been unable to complete this work following a request from the tenant to cancel the work on January 31, 2020.

Read More

Top news stories from Mirror Online

“The tenants have reported other repairs during the past 16 months, all of these being completed satisfactorily to the best of our knowledge.

“Regarding the radiators and in situations where tenants have made any improvements and alterations to their home we can consider compensation.

“As a landlord we strive to provide excellent service and would be keen to complete these repairs as soon as possible.

“We would encourage Miss McGregor or her partner to contact us as soon possible to rearrange the outstanding works in order to achieve a satisfactory outcome for them.”