Police are investigating after a 71-year-old woman was attacked and stabbed in Oldham - half a mile from where another woman was knifed.
The horrific assault - described as 'disturbing and violent' - is being linked by police to an incident earlier this month in which a 61-year-old woman was stabbed.
The victims suffered injuries described by police as 'serious', but both are now said to be recovering.
A senior detective said they were 'violent and motiveless attacks' and appealed to anyone with information to come forward.
Police patrols have been stepped up as a result.
The latest attack happened on Wednesday night on Stoneleigh Street in Derker, Oldham.
Police and emergency services were called at 6pm to reports of an asault.
It is understood the 71-year-old woman, who hasn't been named, was attacked then stabbed on the street.
She was taken to hospital for treatment, but thankfully police described her injuries as 'non life-threatening'.
Greater Manchester Police said detectives were linking the incident to another attack reported at 6.30pm on Friday, November 1.
The details have only just been released by the force.
Police were called to Longfield Crescent in the Spring Hill area of Oldham to reports a woman had been stabbed.
The 61-year-old was taken to hospital with serious injuries.
A GMP spokesman said: "She has now been released from hospital and her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening."
In the latest incident, the attacker was described as a white man, around 5ft 7ins tall who was aged over 18, police said.
He was dressed all in black with a black, hip-length jacket that had a hood covering his chin.
There have been no arrests.
Detective Chief Inspector James Faulkner said: "These were violent and motiveless attacks that has left two vulnerable women fearing for their safety.
"These are clearly two very serious incidents and I am particularly keen to speak to anyone that was on or around Stoneleigh Street and Longfield Crescent at the time of the attacks and may have heard or seen anything unusual or suspicious.
"I would also like to reassure the community that we are doing all we can to protect residents and find those responsible.
"I have a dedicated team of detectives investigating and you will see extra patrols in these areas over the coming days and weeks.
"Please stay vigilant and report anything suspicious to the police."
The Labour Party's General Election candidate for Oldham East and Saddleworth, Debbie Abrahams, described the latest attack as 'disturbing and violent'.
We have a dedicated Facebook page bringing you all the latest news, events and community news in Oldham.
To keep up to date with all that is happening in Oldham - and to join in the discussion - follow the page here.
Police patrols have been stepped up as a result, she confirmed.
Mrs Abrahams said she believed the second victim was now also recovering at home.
She said on social media: "I'm in close contact with Greater Manchester Police, who have put out extra patrols in the area and the investigation is ongoing.
"I understand the victim is now at home and I send my best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.
"This attack was totally unacceptable and I'm grateful to the police for all they are doing."
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 9080; or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.