Downing Street has rejected an experimental coronavirus treatment offer from US President Donald Trump for Boris Johnson, a representative for the Prime Minister has said.
Mr Johnson is in intensive care after his condition worsened yesterday.
A spokesman for Downing Street told The Times: “We’re confident the Prime Minister is receiving the best possible care from the National Health Service.
“Any treatment he receives is a matter for his doctors.”
The rebuffal comes after the US president said yesterday that he asked pharmaceutical companies in his country to “contact London immediately”.
During the daily White House coronavirus press briefing, Trump added: “We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors and we’ll see what takes place – they are ready to go.”
He continued: “I’ve asked two of the leading companies, these brilliant companies – Ebola, AIDS, others, they’ve come up with solutions and just have done incredible jobs.
“They’ve really advanced therapeutics and they have arrived in London already. Their London office has whatever they need, and we’ll see if we can be of help.
“We’ve contacted all of Boris’s doctors and we’ll see what is going to take place, but they are ready to go.”
The president did not name the companies he had asked to contact Mr Johnson’s doctors and what specific treatment had been offered.
Mr Trump has, however, promoted the experimental treatment of antimalarial hydroxychloroquine in combination with the antibiotic azithromycin – which has not been proved to work in a full test setting.
The offer was made after Mr Johnson was moved to an intensive care unit on Monday following his admission to hospital.
Mr Johnson had been struck down by the coronavirus more than a week ago and failed to shake off the deadly disease.
No10 has stressed, however, that the Prime Minister is still breathing unaided and that he is in “good spirits”.
Daily Star Online has approached St Thomas’ Hospital for comment.