An enraged dad dragged his partner from her sofa to the floor and punched her three times in the face in an unprovoked attack.

Violent Simon Fraser, 34, may only have stopped the sickening assault in South Shields when he heard his daughter, feet away in the kitchen.

When the battered and bruised victim asked him to leave part way through the pummelling, Fraser taunted her, saying, "I'm not going".

The thug then punched her twice more in the face before she was able to call police, causing him to flee, magistrates in South Tyneside heard.

He was found soon afterwards on Thursday, October 29, in his MG6 car in Coston Drive at the Lawe Top, South Shields, and was breathalysed.

Fraser, of Parkside, West Moor, North Tyneside, gave a positive roadside breath test, it was alleged.

And he also blew over the limit on an evidential police station CAMIC device after his arrest, it was said.

Appearing at the court, he denied the drink-drive charge but did plead guilty to assault by beating.

Newcastle Crown Court

Sign up to our free newsletter to receive the latest news from the courts in the North East.

It takes just seconds to sign up - just click on this link, enter your email address and follow the instructions.

If you change your mind you can unsubscribe using the link at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.

Prosecutor Grace Taylor said: "[The victim] states that she started the relationship with the defendant in May last year.

"He had been living at her flat until about two weeks before this incident. He had kicked off and she had asked him to leave.

"He was argumentative and there was pushing and shoving by him. She has chucked him out.

"He was staying at his dad’s but then had his daughter and stayed at [the victim's] home for the week.

"She and the defendant had been for a meal and a drink and when they got back, they had a few more drinks.

"Everything was fine. They watched TV, and she fell asleep on the settee."

Ms Taylor added: "At 9.30am the next day, she was woken up by the defendant, who was shouting in her face. He called her a s**g and a s**t.

"He grabbed her by the hair and dragged her across the floor. He punched her in the face. She asked him to leave.

"He said, 'I'm not going' and punched her twice more in the face.

"She had bruising to her left cheek, her lip was split and she had a bump on the top of her forehead.

"She heard his daughter in the kitchen and she thinks the defendant must have heard her too because he stopped hitting her.

"He stood laughing as she phoned the police but she said they were coming straight away, and he left."

Joanne Gatens, defending, said: "I can see that you'll want reports into this case.

"He accepts that the incident was fuelled by alcohol that he had had the night before.

"He says that he was the victim of domestic abuse."

Magistrates adjourned the assault case for reports and Fraser will be sentenced at Newcastle Magistrates' Court on Monday, June 28.

He will be tried on the denied drink-drive charge at Newcastle Magistrates' Court on Wednesday, October 6.