An Italian man staying at a hotel in Tenerife popular with British holiday makers has tested positive for coronavirus, it has emerged.

The region's health authorities said the man was an Italian doctor holidaying in the resort.

There are reports that almost 1,000 guests at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace hotel have been put in quarantine.

Police have been seen outside making sure no-one enters or leaves and phone calls to the hotel have gone unanswered.

The patient is being kept in isolation and his test results are being sent to the Spanish capital, Madrid, for a second analysis a per the nation's protocol on coronavirus cases.

The man is from the Lombardy region of Italy, where seven people have died from coronavirus and more than 229 are infected with the virus.

Police in Italy in the Veneto region which is in lockdown

It is reported that he has been staying with his wife at the hotel, and had been a guest for the last six days.

He felt feverish for several days and went to a private clinic in Adeje, before he was transferred to an isolation unit.

Canary Islands president Angel Victor Torres said on Monday: "This afternoon the coronavirus protocol has been activated for an Italian tourist in the south of Tenerife.

"The result from the first test carried out in the Canaries is positive.

"Tomorrow (Tuesday) new tests will take place in Madrids. The patient has been quarantined."

Undated handout photo issued by Sophie Barley of a sandstorm outside of a hotel in Tenerife, on the Canary Islands.

A spokesman for the regional health authority said the protocol in Spain states that a second test must be carried out at the National Microbiology Centre at the Carlos III Health Institute in Madrid.

He is the third person to test positive in Spain after a British man in Majorca tested positive on February 9 and a German national on the Canary Island of La Gomera tested positive on February 1.

A telephone line has been set up to answer people's concerns. It is on +34 900 112 061.

Many tourists on the island were prevented from leaving earlier this week after a vast sand storm grounded flights.

The storm was so big it could be seen from satellites in space.

Towns in the Lombardy and Veneto region of Italy are in lockdown as a result of the outbreak.

Around 50,000 residents are unable to leave their homes without special permission as authorities attempt to halt the spread of coronavirus.