A "devastated" community group has hit out after a fire caused over £5,000 worth of damage at a popular playpark after the coronavirus restrictions were eased.

A wooden train was torched at Mount Vernon Community Hall, in Glasgow, resulting in police and the fire service being called to the deal with the blaze.

And a fundraiser has now been set up to try and pay for the cost of the damage.

The train was torched at the weekend.

Posts on the Mount Vernon Community Hall Facebook page said: "Well folks lockdown is well and truly easing and welcome to the new way of living.

"A world where we wake up not knowing what level of vandalism has been caused to local amenities.

"This train has well and truly left the station.

"A heartfelt apology to all the kids who will be heartbroken when they walk along the woodland path today and see this..parents..we don't know what to tell them either.

"The truth is ...big bad stupid boys and girls done it and ran away as usual...welcome to the new norm!

"Devastated is an understatement!

The charred remains of the train.

"Over £5,000 in damage caused last night in the community woodland area.

"Our volunteers many who are key workers and have young children are left to deal with this.

"Thanks to the police and fire brigade who were out at midnight last night trying put this out in order to stop the potential spread throughout the woodland area and neighbouring properties.

The trail of destruction at the train.

"We have been contacted by members of our wonderful community who have asked us to create this funding page so that we can restore this area to a child safe play area again as soon as possible.

"We appreciate your support and understand that especially during this time of financial hardship it is not always possible to spare additional funds so please only give if you can."

Anyone who wishes to donate to the fundraiser can do so here.

Read More

Coronavirus in Scotland

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "We received a report of a fire in Mount Vernon Park, Glasgow, around 11.50pm on Sunday, May 31, 2020. Nobody was injured.

"Two men (aged 18 and 19) have been charged in connection with the incident. A report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal."