A troublesome son failed to put gloss on a prohibited visit to his mum’s Sunderland home - when he turned up uninvited and covered head to toe in paint.

Kevin Langan, 34, knocked for the umpteenth time in breach of an indefinite restraining order – and she phoned police.

He was arrested trying to clean himself up at a neighbouring property in Bowness Street, Town End Farm, on Monday, November 1.

Langan, of Torres Road, Thorney Close, Sunderland, admitted the breach at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court – and was spared jail.

Go here for the latest reports and live updates from North East courts

Magistrates imprisoned him for eight weeks but suspended the sentence for a year.

They heard a friend of Langan’s had poured paint over his head as a joke while they decorated a property.

In desperation to get clean, he called at his mother’s home but doing so put him in breach of an order put in place in March 2016.

Prosecutor Glenda Beck said Langan had repeatedly breached the court-imposed restriction.

She added: “The order prohibits him from contacting his mum or entering or being at her home.

“His mother lives alone. She’s had repeated problems with her son for the past 17 years.

“At 10pm she contacted police by 999 after he came to her front door. He was mortal drunk.

“He said to her, ‘I can’t believe you’ve called the police, I’ll get two years’. Matters have escalated.

“The woman’s niece phoned and told her he had gone into a neighbour’s home. She pointed the property out to police.”

Mrs Beck said Langan had breached the order numerous times and been jailed twice for doing so.

Gerry Armstrong, defending, said his client had spent last Christmas at his mum’s home at her invitation.

He added: “He had been to a friend’s house helping him to decorate. His friend thought it would be funny to pour paint over his head.

“It was near his mum’s home, and he asked her if he could wash it off. He then went to a neighbouring house, where he was let in.

“When police arrived, he was covered in paint. He knows he shouldn’t have gone to her home.

“There was no abuse, no threats and no violence.”

Capt Alex Castle, chair of the bench, said Langan, who admitted breaching the order, had flouted its terms five times.

Warning him he faced jail if he did so again, he added: “We’ve taken into account what Mr Armstrong has said about your friend pouring paint on you.

“If you breach again, you’re off. Don’t let us down.”

As well as the suspended sentence, Langan must pay a £128 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

Magistrates also widened the scope of the restraining order by barring him indefinitely from the entirety of Bowness Street.

For daily news from the North East's courts direct to your inbox, go here to sign up to our free court newsletter