Legends. Forever legends.

St Johnstone are the 2021 Scottish League Cup champions. The trophy heading to Perth for the first time in its history.

This was a nerve-wracking 90 minutes at the national stadium. It was always going to be.

But Shaun Rooney’s first half header sent this little club from the Fair City into dreamland. History was created.

Manager Callum Davidson, in his first season, will never be forgotten. He didn’t care how this game of football was won.

That Rooney header was more than enough and smiles on faces at the full-time whistle were delightful to witness.

For the supporters, required to watch from home, this would still be a momentous day. They would be dancing and singing. They would be in tears.

Pre-match nerves would be completely understandable. The same would apply for those tasked with taking to the field. 

Davidson made only one change from last week’s comfortable victory at Fir Park. Craig Conway, who played a starring role in the semi-final last month, was given the nod while Guy Melamed dropped to the bench.

Midfielder Murray Davidson hadn’t recovered in time from a calf knock to be included and that was gutting news. He has been a fine servant and deserved his moment at Hampden.

There was experience in the middle of the park in Liam Craig, though, who lined-up alongside the talent and energy of Ali McCann.

Energy was on display in the third minute when Chris Kane set-up a Perth counter attack.

The ball was worked to Conway who waited and slipped into the path of Rooney. He had made up great ground but his cut-back was blocked and rolled into the hands of goalkeeper Robby McCrorie.

Up the other end and Zander Clark was soon called into action. The Perth shot-stopper was at full stretch on 17 minutes to touch a Josh Mullin strike behind for a corner.

The opening half hour had been a battle and one where Saints had struggled to get a foot on the ball. Numerous fouls and stoppages in play were certainly not helping the flow of the game. In many ways it was a similar opening as witnessed in the semi-final against Hibs.

And then, as happened last month, determination shone through.

With 31 minutes on the clock, Rooney wrestled in front of his man to nod Conway’s corner into the bottom corner. He wheeled away in celebration, joined by jubilant mates. Those on the bench, sitting in the stand, punched the air in delight.

His goal-scoring form has been incredible and as the half-time whistle approached he wanted another. Despite being 35 yards from goal he fancied his chances but this time McCrorie grasped hold of the ball.

This squad was now 45 minutes away from legendary status. How they would love a strong start to the second half.

They certainly did begin on the front foot and, when McCann’s cutback found David Wotherspoon, it appeared the advantage was going to be doubled.

He guided goalwards but McCrorie was positioned well to block and then Chris Kane was inches from turning in the rebound.

Perth boss Davidson would be delighted with how his men were fighting for the cause. They certainly looked more comfortable on the ball.

Clark in the Saints net was being protected superbly well by captain Jason Kerr, local lad Liam Gordon and Jamie McCart. What a shift.

Livingston did begin to apply pressure as the game entered its latter stages. But this was Saints’ day.

And it will be one never forgotten.

*Full reaction in Tuesday’s PA