St Johnstone produced a professional display to book their Scottish Cup quarter final ticket.

The Perth side’s workrate early in the game was particularly impressive and allowed for a two-goal cushion to be engineered.

To their credit, League One Clyde, playing their eighth fixture of the month, battled away to the final whistle.

Guy Melamed got the ball rolling on just six minutes for Saints. He was positioned where all good strikers operate to nudge a driven Michael O’Halloran cross over the line from close range.

The Israeli forward should’ve had a second not long after but leaned back and swiped over.

Saints would double their advantage on 21 minutes, though. Stevie May’s nicely weighted pass across the box sent O’Halloran in on goal and, after composing himself, he tucked underneath Matej Vajs.

It was backs against the wall stuff for Clyde who then watched Scott Tanser go close with a back post header before Liam Craig was inches from connecting with a Melamed cross.

Jamie McCart, still to score for Saints, thought that had changed as the half-time whistle approached but Marky Munro cleared his shot off the line.

Up the other end, Elliott Parish - making a rare start - was not required to make a save in the opening 45 minutes. James Brown, on loan from Millwall, started at right-wing back but he, too, was not overly busy from a defensive point of view.

Chances continued to arrive after the break, the pick of the bunch in the 66th minute when Melamed nodded David Wotherspoon’s corner off the crossbar.

At this point, midfielder Charlie Gilmour - who had only previously made one brief appearance from the bench - was introduced to the action.

There was a late scare when Clyde’s Lewis Jamieson rolled the ball into the back of the net. But luckily for the hosts the flag was up for offside. The same man almost pulled one back in the 90th minute.

It was a case of job done for Saints who now face the winner of tomorrow’s fourth round tie between Rangers and Celtic in the quarter final.