A Scots mum felt "helpless" as she screamed for help when her daughter's lips turned blue and she struggled to breathe after inhaling chlorine tablets meant for her hot tub.

Natasha Comaskey had taken her three children on a trip to M&D's theme park in Motherwell but as the family prepared to leave, her oldest daughter Savannah, 10, became extremely ill.

As Natasha was strapping 10-month-old Oakley into her car seat, Savannah opened the packet of chlorine tablets and began to gasp for air as her throat closed up.

Savannah and Hayden just before the incident

Her terrified mum was screaming for help and begging someone to phone an ambulance as Savannah's lips turned blue and she clutched at her neck.

Natasha, 30, from the Gorbals, told the Record: "I had taken the girls to M&D's on Thursday and we only stayed for around an hour as it was too warm.

"Just as I was trying to strap my 10-month-old in, I heard Savannah's younger sister Hayden screaming and crying.

"Savannah came round the side of the car and was trying to grab onto me. She couldn't get her words out. She was trying to get her breath and crying.

Poor Savannah was kept in hospital overnight

"I was shouting what's wrong. I was trying to ask my younger daughter what had happened - I was screaming for someone to help me and screaming someone phone an ambulance.

"She was getting a bit more lifeless and her face was getting whiter. Her lips were also turning blue. I kept slapping her back as I didn't know what to do or what had happened.

"A guy came running over and he was putting his slush down, Savannah had her hand out as if to say juice - she looked as though her eyes were rolling back - I put her head back and poured the slush into her mouth. That's when she let out a big cough and managed to have a breath and come around a bit."

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week's must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we'll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

When poor Savannah managed to catch her breath, Natasha phoned an ambulance and two women helped the family into the cafe inside the theme park.

Cafe staff quickly rushed to their aid and helped look after Hayden, 7, and Oakley until their dad managed to arrive.

Paramedics arrived at the scene within five minutes and told Natasha it was possible the chlorine tablets had melted in the heat and Savannah's airways had closed when she sniffed them.

The schoolgirl was taken to Wishaw General Hospital and had to be put on Oxygen, a drip and a cardiac machine as her heart rate kept dropping and her potassium levels remained low.

Natasha, dad Zander, Savannah and Hayden on a previous trip to the theme park

She was unable to keep anything down and kept being sick as medics kept her in overnight.

Savannah is now at home recovering but has been traumatised by the incident as mum Natasha is desperate to raise awareness of the dangers chlorine tablets can pose.

Natasha said: "Probably no-one knows the dangers. It is scary stuff. I want to try and warn people about it. I was helpless - that's probably the only time in her life I've been helpless to her needs.

"I would like to warn people as I know so many people buying hot tubs and pools and thinking it is fine unless they have a baby moving about.

Savannah has been traumatised by the ordeal

"I put a post on Facebook and nobody even thought they could be really dangerous unless they were eaten.

"I think it will take Savannah a while to get over it, she is traumatised. It's given Hayden a big fright as well."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.