A Scots dog owner has hit out at mindless youngsters smashing bottles next to a primary school after her poor pooch sliced his paw open and had to be rushed to the vets.

Lorraine Campbell was out walking one-year-old Cockapoo Louis on Sunday with a friend when he injured himself on broken glass.

The 45-year-old from Motherwell has been left fuming at the preventable situation and said the area is covered with broken glass due to kids drinking there on the weekend.

Lorraine was even more shocked as the incident happened on the main path to Cathedral Primary School and fears next time it could be a child.

Did you know you can keep up to date with the latest news by signing up to our daily newsletter?

We send a morning and lunchtime newsletter covering the latest headlines every day.

We also send coronavirus updates at 5pm on weekdays, and a round up of the week's must-read stories on Sunday afternoons.

Signing up is simple, easy and free.

You can pop your email address into the sign up box above, hit Subscribe and we'll do the rest.

Alternatively, you can sign up and check out the rest of our newsletters here.

Lorraine managed to keep pressure on the wound

She said: "On Sunday I normally go round the back road with him. We has passed about eight broken bottles on the way down and thought about turning back but usually it gets better then further down you go.

"Baxter and Louis were running about and he stopped and started licking his paw.

Louis had to be rushed to the vets

"I ran down and there was blood pouring out of it.

"I got such a fright and thought omg and started to panic. I've never seen blood spurt out like that.

"I checked my health app and my heart rate was even right up.

"Luckily it was just by the house and not in the woods as I wouldn't have been able to carry him back.

"I was going to take my jumper off but my friend gave me a glove to cover it.

The walk is bad for broken glass
The walk is bad for broken glass

"I phoned my husband Neil and he came round with the car and took us to the vets."

Lorraine managed to keep pressure on the wound to prevent it from bleeding before getting to the vets.

Blood started pouring out of Louis paw

They immediately tended to poor Louis who had to have his paw stapled due to the gash which was one inch wide.

Lorraine added: "It's happened before - it's happened to Louis and it will happen again.

"The rubbish is an absolute disgrace."