Great Britain

Saudi Arabia says hajj to be limited to 60,000 in kingdom

Saudi Arabia says this year's hajj pilgrimage will be limited to no more than 60,000 people, all of them from within the kingdom, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

The kingdom made the announcement Saturday on its state-run Saudi Press Agency.

It cited the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah for making the decision.

In last year's hajj, as few as 1,000 people already residing in Saudi Arabia were selected to take part in the hajj. Two-thirds were foreign residents from among the 160 different nationalities that would have normally been represented at the hajj. One-third were Saudi security personnel and medical staff.

The hajj begins mid-July.

Football news:

Roberto Carlos on Messi: He really needed the America's Cup - a title, a trophy. I am happy for my friend and colleague
Former Man City and Monaco striker Jovetic has moved to Hertha
Allegri on Real Madrid's Interest: I thank Perez, but I chose Juve because of my love for the club
Koeman likes Bayern defender Hernandez. Barcelona considers the transfer impossible
Former Liverpool defender Sako has moved to Montpellier
Gary Lineker: The Russian Olympic Committee has definitely become the most successful committee in the history of the Olympics
Massimiliano Allegri: Ronaldo is a great champion and a smart guy. I told him that he has more responsibility because the team is young