A 10-week public consultation is set to begin next month on East Riding Council's draft Local Plan which proposes a target of 1,100 new homes a year.
East Riding Council's cabinet heard today (Tuesday, April 20) the public consultation would take place virtually from the end of May and finish in July.
Council Planning and Economic Regeneration Director Alan Menzies told the cabinet the consultation would last longer than the legally required six weeks due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Cllr Victoria Aitken, the council's economic development portfolio holder, said the draft plans were a "starting point" after telling members she had already been contacted by concerned residents.
To get the Hull Live headlines to your inbox, click here.
The draft is set to replace the council's current Local Plan which was adopted in 2016 and expires this year. The draft plan, which would run until 2039, outlines local housing targets including for affordable homes and zones areas for residential, business and mixed use development across the East Riding.
It proposes a target of 20,900 homes in total up to 2039, or 1,100 new homes a year.
Officers have assessed development in villages and towns across the East Riding under the 2016 plan and have proposed new local targets based on building levels since.
The draft plan proposes only including housing estates with existing planning permission in Goole, 855 homes in total, given the area's current flood risk.
Watch to find out more about the planning system:
Howden would see its targets rise from 800 homes to 2,140 largely north east of the town to cover needs in the Goole and Humberhead Levels area.
The draft aims to reduce house building in Pocklington to allow local infrastructure to catch up to recent developments.
No further building is planned for Woodmansey after double the amount of homes were approved under the last plan, but officers said the halt could change following further reviews.
Stamford Bridge would also be set for reduced housing due to "challenges" with highways, heritage and ecology, according to a council report on the draft plan.
Mr Menzies said the council would use "all means available" to ensure residents could take part in the consultation.
The director said: "We sent out a leaflet with council tax bills to tell residents a public consultation will soon be taking place.
Check public notices near you
"Traditional forms of consultation in village halls isn't something we can currently do."
Council Deputy Leader Mike Stathers said: "A lot of our communities have been anxious to look at this for some time, residents will soon be able to take part in drawing up the new Local Plan."
Cllr Aitken said it was important that residents take part so local concerns over issues such as traffic could be raised and taken into account when drawing up the plan.
The portfolio holder said: "Residents should be assured that this is a starter for 10, no decisions have yet been made.
"Residents' input is going to be important on issues such as traffic flow, in Howden we have huge issues with HGVs going through the town, there will be similar issues in other areas.
"If residents bring these issues forward then we can ensure there's mitigation."
Council Leader Cllr Richard Burton said consultation needed to be "robust and strong".
Cllr Burton said: "The consultation needs to be as thorough as possible, I welcome the extra time for it."
Meanwhile, the cabinet also approved new banning penalties for local rogue landlords.
Environment and Neighbourhood Services director told councillors landlords would be banned renting out properties in the most "severe" cases.
The director added a tribunal would rule on the bans which could be applied if for example a landlord failed to fix a hazard in a tenant's home.
Cllr Burton said the orders would be a "tool in the box" to help the council deal with all eventualities in the private housing sector.