A WOMAN had to be taken to hospital after a cooking hob fire.

West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service (WYFRS) was called to a house on Raikes Lane, Birstall, at around 7.34pm yesterday evening.

One appliance from Cleckheaton attended, alongside two from Dewsbury.

The blaze was started by a cooking hob and the kitchen was filled with smoke.

Crews used one hose reel, two breathing apparatus and a high-powered fan to clear the property of smoke.

One female occupant suffered smoke inhalation and was transported to hospital by ambulance.