The Queen has made the shock decision to not attend the COP26 climate summit, with sources saying the long journey from Windsor to Glasgow would have been "too much" for her.

She had to pull out of a visit to Northern Ireland last week and spent a night in hospital but it had been hoped that having recharged her batteries she would have been able to go to the key Glasgow summit.

Instead, the Queen is set to film a video message from Windsor Castle that it been broadcast to delegates at the event.

Buckingham Palace said the 95-year-old had “regretfully decided” not to travel to Glasgow and will now stay at Windsor Castle where she will rest on doctors’ orders.

Palace sources told the Mirror that it was a “sensible precaution” and the 800-mile round trip would have been "too much" for the Queen at this time.

The Queen also had to cancel a trip to Northern Ireland last week and spent a night in a London hospital (

Image:

AFP via Getty Images)

The source added: “This decision was not taken lightly by Her Majesty. It would have been a long journey up to Glasgow and the reception is a long event, which she was very much looking forward to.

“However, the Queen’s doctors have been very clear and instructed her to rest.

“She has been able to take on light duties but sadly attending COP would have been too much of an undertaking.”

The sovereign had been expecting the results from "preliminary investigations" carried out last week by specialist doctors at the King Edward VII hospital in Marylebone, London.

Royal sources suggested it is a possibility Her Majesty would need further check ups for the unknown medical condition.

The Queen will later this week record the video message to be played at a reception for world leaders she was due to host next Monday as part of the world’s largest climate change conference.

A Palace spokesman said: "Following advice to rest, The Queen has been undertaking light duties at Windsor Castle.

"Her Majesty has regretfully decided that she will no longer travel to Glasgow to attend the evening reception of COP26 on Monday, November 1.

"Her Majesty is disappointed not to attend the reception but will deliver an address to the assembled delegates via a recorded video message.

“The message will be filmed later this week and she very much wants COP26 to be a success and see meaningful actions.”

One source added that the Queen also “hoped no one would use it as an excuse not to attend”.

Prince Charles and Prince William will now take over hosting the event, alongside their wives the Duchess of Cornwall and Duchess of Cambridge.

Courtiers last night insisted the Queen was “in good spirits” and her decision was largely made due to the amount of travel and time needed to dedicate to such an event.

Earlier in the day Palace officials moved to dampen fears over the seriousness of the Queen’s condition by releasing images on social media of her carrying out two virtual engagements from Windsor Castle.

Returning to work for the first time since she was admitted last Wednesday for her first overnight stay in more than eight years, the Queen appeared smiling via video link to greet the ambassador from South Korea, Gunn Kim.

Sources have suggested Her Majesty has been feeling “incredibly tired” of late and has been told by doctors that she needed to take her health seriously and rest.

Members of the royal family have grown increasingly concerned over the Queen’s punishing schedule which saw her take on at least 16 formal events during October since returning from her summer break at Balmoral.

She has been seen using a walking stick at recent public events, including at a Westminster Abbey service and when she opened the sixth term of the Welsh parliament.

The Queen was said to be desperate to attend the COP26 event, especially following comments picked up on a microphone following the Welsh Senedd where she hit out at world leaders including China and Russia who are not down to attend, saying: "it’s really irritating when they talk, but they don’t do.”

Fears for the Queen’s health were sparked last Wednesday when she was forced to cancel a trip to Northern Ireland just hours before she was due to arrive.

Hours later she was taken by car to hospital and had to stay the night following “preliminary investigations”.

It is not known whether Her Majesty has been called back to hospital for further tests.

Palace officials said that the head of state remained "in good spirits" and had continued to undertake light duties, despite her missing a church service at Windsor on Sunday.

Royal sources suggested the Queen was taking steps to rest following “sensible precaution” with regard to COP26.

Courtiers have marvelled at how the Queen has personally thrown herself into a hectic schedule of royal engagements after being freed from the shackles of coronavirus restrictions, as well as wanting to keep busy following the death of her husband of 73 years the Duke of Edinburgh who passed away in April.

But palace sources admitted "the Queen's complete diary will be examined" in light of her needing to take some time off from engagements.

Her children Prince Charles and Princess Anne, as well as grandson Prince William are on hand to step in to carry out investitures at Windsor Castle as well as accompany her on any future engagements, sources have said.

Read More Read More