THE Premier League is ready to scrap the season as a result of the coronavirus, according to Udinese director Pierpaolo Marino.
Football chiefs ordered an indefinite break with the pandemic worsening and sporting events being cancelled worldwide.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus in sport live blog for the latest news & updates
But the Premier League have reportedly been given a 'tentative' green light to resume in June behind closed doors.
Liverpool are seemingly well on their way to winning their first top flight title for 30 years, 25 points clear of second-placed Manchester City.
But the Belgian authorities announced at the weekend that their season is over - Club Brugge had already wrapped up the Jupiler League title.
And according to Udinese director Marino - who's club shares owners with Watford - the Premier League is set to follow suit.
Speaking to Sport Italia, the 65-year-old said: "The Belgian Federation has already sanctioned the end of their league, despite the threats of sanctions from Uefa.
“In England, the Premier League is about to release a similar statement, because the situation there is becoming very, very serious.
"I frankly just hope we can enjoy football again after the coronavirus.
“It doesn’t matter how long it takes, we need to get out of this danger zone. I am worried for the next seasons, not the old one."
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS - BE IN THE KNOW
Get the latest coronavirus news, facts and figures from around the world - plus essential advice for you and your family.
To receive our Covid-19 newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
Despite their huge lead at the top of the Premier League, it is still unclear what would happen should the season be declared over.
During crisis talks on March 27, Prem bosses admitted that "difficult decisions will need to be made" about what to do with the rest of the season.
Uefa chief Aleksander Ceferin suggested Liverpool would not be crowned champions if the league is cancelled due to coronavirus.
He said: "I've saw and heard some again fake news that Uefa will advise leagues to finish the championships now and decide that the winners are the ones who are number one now.
"I can say that it's not true.
"Our goal is to finish the leagues and we didn't recommend anything like that to any association or league."
However, the final decision will be made by the Premier League's board - interim chair Claudia Arney, chief executive Richard Masters and director Kevin Beeston.
They will consult with all 20 clubs but the final decision will rest with the board.
And Premier League chief Richard Masters says they could lose at least £1BILLION if the season does not restart.
SunSport this week called on Clarke to broker a peace deal after players and clubs failed to find an agreement over wage cuts.
That followed a dramatic weekend when the Prem demanded PFA members agree a 30 per cent wage deferral but the bid was rejected.
Give now to The Sun's NHS appeal
BRITAIN’s four million NHS staff are on the frontline in the battle against coronavirus.
But while they are helping save lives, who is there to help them?
The Sun has launched an appeal to raise £1MILLION for NHS workers.
The Who Cares Wins Appeal aims to get vital support to staff in their hour of need.
We have teamed up with NHS Charities Together in their urgent Covid-19 Appeal to ensure the money gets to exactly who needs it.
The Sun is donating £50,000 and we would like YOU to help us raise a million pounds, to help THEM.
No matter how little you can spare, please donate today here