The two-day Moffat Classic Car Rally has been cancelled due to Covid for the second year in a row.
Event organiser Gordon Bisset said he is “deeply disappointed” at having to make the decision but that it was “unavoidable” due to coronavirus restrictions.
The event has helped the 83-year-old to raise £140,000 for cancer charities in memory of his wife Alison who was diagnosed with the disease in 2000 and died after a three-year battle.
Last year, 900 car enthusiasts from all over the world were due to bring their vehicles to Moffat and hundreds more spectators were expected to turn up in the town for the rally.
It is Moffat’s biggest weekend of the year and would have generated upwards of £150,000 for local businesses.
Mr Bisset said: “Having to cancel the event for the second year is a tremendous loss not only to Moffat, but the region as a whole.”
This year’s rally was due to take place on June 26-27.
Mr Bisset added: “With entrants and spectators usually attending from all over the UK, Northern Ireland and Shetland, one of our biggest concerns was that if any new travel restrictions had to be imposed before the event it would have caused serious problems.
“Any cancellations would have an effect on our finances, as the detailed planning and expenditure for the rally starts in February.
“Last year’s event was cancelled near the end of March resulting in a financial loss on an event that never took place.
“For the past 22 years, usually around 300 of our entrants have always had the enjoyment of the civic reception in the Moffat Woollen Mill on the Saturday night – this would not have been allowed this year.
“It’s deeply disappointing we won’t be able to support the cancer charities that we do this for, as that is what gives me the motivation to keep it going.”