TWO teenage lovers working in a McDonald's kitchen have both died after being electrocuted by a faulty drinks machine.
Alexandra Porras Inga and boyfriend Gabriel Campos Zapata, both 18, were cleaning a branch of the food giant in Peruvian capital Lima early on Sunday when the accident happened.
The pair had recently finished secondary school, and had been working night shifts in the restaurant in the district of Pueblo Libre for six months.
Police said Inga suffered an electric shock while working with the drinks machine, and that Zapata was also electrocuted when he tried to help her.
Prosecutors have now ordered a criminal investigation, saying: “The police will collect statement from the owners and the managers of the restaurant and the statement of the workers, as well as doing an inspection of the electrical facilities, the security systems, the prevention of accidents at work and the conditions the victims were working under at the time of the incident.”
Investigators will also look into reports that rescuers were initially denied access to the premises.
Representing Inga's family, lawyer Elizabeth Carmona claimed to have evidence of exposed wires in the kitchen that could've put workers' lives at risk.
She said the family intended to sue the local government because of a lack of proper supervision in the restaurant.
The local government has order the restaurant closed.
'WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENED'
Gabriel's mother, Rocio Zapata told local media: “We want them to investigate how things happened.
"We were not given a specific version, only that it was an electrical discharge.”
McDonald's Peru said in a press statement that it regretted the incident and announced two days of mourning.
"All our restaurants will remain closed in the whole country without affecting the conditions of our workers,” it said.
Arcos Dorados, the company which owns the McDonald’s franchise in Peru, added: “We are working to find out the details of what happened and will give everything needed to the investigation.”
Representing McDonald’s, Ricardo Elias said: “Police have done all due diligence.
SNEAKY SERPENTCan you spot the world's second deadliest snake hiding in woman's bathroom?
CUTTING IT FINESuper yacht that belonged to Roman Abramovich accidentally rips dock apart
INSIDE JOBBrits abroad warned airport insiders tipping off robbers about YOUR valuables
ABUSED THEN EATENInside Brazil’s sick dog fighting ring where losing pets are barbecued
THUG ISLANDLove Island safety fears as Cape Town is rocked by 15k gangsters' jail release
CRUEL PUNISHMENTDad forced boy, 8, to kneel on buckwheat for so long it grew into his skin
"We as a company have done it right by giving all the information and access to the restaurant requested by them”.
An investigation is ongoing.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online news team? Email us at [email protected] or call 0207 782 4368 . We pay for videos too. Click here to upload yours