Manchester United executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward and chief negotiator Matt Judge have sprung into action after seeing Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side beaten 3-1 by Crystal Palace.
The Red Devils suffered a humbling defeat, conceding three goals in their Premier League opener for the first time since 1995.
That prompted Judge to contact intermediaries in the aftermath of the game to step up their transfer business.
And they are now looking to immediately address defensive concerns having previously been happy to wait until next summer to strengthen the back four, as reported by the Manchester Evening News.
It is claimed they have had a ‘shift’ in their thinking and are pushing for a new left-back and potentially a new centre-back before the October 5 transfer deadline.
Signing Jadon Sancho or an alternative right winger remains a priority but there has been acknowledgment that their need for defensive reinforcements is also pressing.
Porto left-back Alex Telles looks the most likely addition to add competition for Luke Shaw and Brandon Williams.
Dayot Upamecano is also on United’s radar as a centre-back, but Mirror Sport understands that the club do not believe they will be able to sign him from RB Leipzig this window.
Upamecano recently signed a new deal with a release clause which does not come into effect until next summer.
Manchester United are looking to plot their path back to the top. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has already brought in Donny van de Beek but Jadon Sancho remains Manchester United's number one target.
And you can keep track of their journey by signing up for the brilliant new Mirror Football newsletter!
From the latest transfer news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
Signing up is simple. Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Efforts to land Telles are more advanced, whilst Dynamo Kiev’s Vitaliy Mykolenko is another target at left-back.
Luke Shaw admitted after United’s defeat to Palace that they need more additions to achieve their ambitions this season as they return to the Champions League.
"As I said, we have a very good group, but personally I think we need more players to strengthen the squad," Shaw said.
"It can give us a boost. When you look around at how other teams are strengthening their teams, then we must also do it to keep up with the others.”
United also found themselves short at right-back against Palace with Diogo Dalot and Aaron Wan-Bissaka not deemed match fit meaning Timothy Fosu-Mensah started.
Sign up to the Mirror Football email here for the latest news and transfer gossip.