A man was rescued from a Newcastle house fire and a passer-by injured by falling debris.
Emergency services were called to Croydon Road, in Arthur’s Hill, at around 1am on Sunday to reports of a house fire.
Firefighters rescued one man from the ground floor bedroom and a passer-by who tried to wake the occupant was injured by falling debris.
Read more: North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic and travel
A nearby resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said residents tried to wake the occupier when they saw the blaze.
He said: “At about 12.50am there were noises like fireworks going off on the street and loud noises.
"Luckily one of the neighbours was smashing through, kicking hard and knocking on doors telling people to get out their houses.
“He was saying next door was on fire. When they knocked on the door of the house that was on fire nobody came out and I tried to knock it down, but no one came out.
“Luckily fire and ambulance came out in the nick of time before it spread to any other houses.
“It has been a horrible experience from 1am to 4am as they were trying to put the fire out.”
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service sent four appliances to the scene and were there for around three hours.
A spokeswoman for the service said: “We rescued one male from the ground floor bedroom and one passerby was struck by falling debris while trying to arouse the occupier.
“They were both treated at the scene and no one went to hospital.”
The house suffered severe smoke and water damage from the blaze, the spokeswoman said.
“The loft was 100% damaged from the fire, the first floor was severely damaged from the smoke and had water damage, and the ground floor was damaged by the water from the firefighter action,” she said.