A man was left 'unconscious' after he was kicked in the head during a robbery, a court heard.

Steven McMyler, was found outside Wigan Parish Church with serious injuries on August 6 last year. Despite the best efforts of medics, the 34-year-old died at the scene.

An inquest into Mr McMyler's death was opened last September at Bolton Coroners Court. Five people were charged with his murder a month later.

Four are currently standing trial at Manchester Crown Court.

These include Lewis Peake, aged 30, of James Street, Little Lever; and Michael Wilson, aged 20, of Northfield Close, Kirkby.

The other defendants are a 14-year-old and a 17-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

All four had pleaded not guilty to murder, manslaughter and conspiracy to rob Steven McMyler.

Today prosecutor Mark Ford QC told jurors that Peake "made the acquaintance" of Mr McMyler and learned he was in possession of a "very valuable watch".

Mr Ford said that he then recruited the other four defendants to assault Mr McMyler and help to rob him.

After the attack, which rendered Mr McMyler unconscious, Mr Ford said that Wilson, Short, and the two youths turned on Peake and attacked him with a bottle.

According to Mr Ford, they said: "give us your money or we will shank you".

The court heard that the four were then seen "laughing and grinning" as they walked through Wigan.

They eventually got a taxi back to Old Rough Lane, Kirkby, according to Mr Ford.

Mr Ford added that a man had previously rejected their request to drive them back to Kirkby for £100.

Mr Ford told the court that during his interview, Peake told police that he was a robbery victim, who had been bottled and had £200 taken from him.

Jurors also heard that Peake told police that one of the other defendants 'volleyed' Mr McMyler to the head during a robbery.

Peake admitted taking Mr McMyler's suitcase and phone but denied any dishonest intent when doing so, Mr Ford said.

Ambulance staff saw Peake and urged him to attend hospital but instead he visited a friend called Cassandra Hill, the jury heard.

Police arrived at the home shortly later and saw Peake running out of the back garden., Mr Ford said.

He added that the suitcase was found in a hole in a neighbour's fence and that Peake was arrested.

Find out what's happening in your local area by entering your postcode below:

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here

Mr Ford said that after the robbery Peake returned to the scene and took Mr McMyler's suitcase while he was dying.

Mr Ford told the court that Peake was "utterly indifferent" to Mr McMyler's condition.

He finished by telling the jurors that if defendants set out to assault a victim and cause serious harm and the victim then dies, the defendants should be found guilty of murder.