A homeless man, who had been staying in a hotel, was found dead by a member of staff.

Daniel Joseph Roy Melling, 33, had been living in room 206 of the Mercure Hotel, in Orchard Street, Wigan.

Mr Melling, who was born in Billinge and had most recently lived in the Marsh Green area, was found dead on July 5, according to police coroner's officer Neil McCaffrey.

Mr McCaffrey said: "Mr Melling had been homeless and was staying in temporary accommodation at the Mercure Hotel.

"On July 5, room checks were carried out and at 9.40pm, Mr Melling was found unresponsive."

Senior coroner for Manchester West, Timothy Brennand, told Bolton Coroner's Court that Mr Melling's cause of death has been recorded as: "combined toxic effects of heroin, methadone and cocaine."

The inquest has been adjourned for a review on December 18.