A VICTIM of the M8 triple death crash had previously been jailed for killing a schoolboy ten years ago.
The Sun can reveal that one of the crash victims was David Paton, 27, who was previously convicted of culpable homicide.
Cops confirmed there was multiple fatalities following the Renfrewshire road tragedy on Sunday at around 5.50am.
Emergency crews swooped on the scene after an Audi veered off the motorway while travelling westbound.
Paton was convicted after teen Christopher Knox was stabbed in the heart by an accomplice.
Christopher, 17, had been due to give evidence against Paton in another case where he was accused of robbing delivery drivers.
This saw him labelled a “grass” by Paton who tried to intimidate him.
He arrived at Ravenscraig Primary School with a gang after getting a phone call saying that Christopher was drinking there.
Thug pal Paul McCowan then stabbed him through the heart during a brawl in the playground in Greenock, Scotland.
He was convicted of murder while Paton was found guilty of culpable homicide as he knew McCowan had a knife.
Paton later threatened the victim’s father as his son lay dying and claimed Christopher “deserved” what happened to him.
Judge Rita Rae, QC told him: “You threatened to stab the deceased’s father in the street and to burn his house down while his son was lying dying.
“In addition, you shouted to Christopher’s parents that he deserved what he got because he was a ‘grass’.
“The following month you see Mr Knox senior drive by and you shout and laugh at him and make a gesture towards him.”
She sentenced Paton to 13-and-a-half years in jail with McCowan ordered to serve a minimum of 17 years.
Later Christopher’s cousin Margo Hagen, of Gourock, said: “When I heard that Christopher was dead I thought I was going to pass out.
“I was told he had been stabbed, it was horrific.”
The Sun revealed how Paton and two pals, Manveer Benning, 27, and Mark Downie, 31, were named as victims of Sunday’s early morning smash.
Officers confirmed that two men aged 27 and another man aged 31 were pronounced dead at the scene of the smash.
A further five men were rushed to hospital to be treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries.
Emotional tributes emerged after emergency crews were called to the collision near Bishopton, Renfrewshire, but the trio were pronounced dead at the scene.
Another four pals including the driver were taken to hospital for treatment after the accident at 5am on Sunday.
Inspector Darren Cook, of Police Scotland’s Road Policing Unit, said: “Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of those who have lost their lives as a result of this crash.
“Our enquiries are currently ongoing to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident and we are seeking assistance from the public to help with our investigation.
“Although this happened in the early hours of the morning, we believe there may be other road users that can help with our enquiry.
“I would ask if you were driving in the area around the time of the incident or have possible dashcam footage that you come forward and speak to officers.
“Police can be contacted by calling 101 and quoting incident number 0860 of Sunday, 19 September, 2021.”