Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez have called off their engagement after weeks of speculation about their relationship.

The pop star and actress, 51, and the baseball star, 45, first started dating in 2017 and announced their engagement in 2019 after he proposed in the Bahamas.

The news comes a month after the couple were forced to deny they had split up.

In a joint statement to US morning show Today on Thursday, they said: “We have realised we are better as friends and look forward to remaining so.

Jennifer Lopez is set to launch her long-awaited beauty line

“We will continue to work together and support each other on our shared businesses and projects.

“We wish the best for each other and one another’s children.

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter

You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

“Out of respect for them, the only other comment we have to say is thank-you to everyone who has sent kind words and support.”

After rumours began to swirl last month that the couple had called it quits, they said in a joint statement: “All the reports are inaccurate. We are working through some things.”

Lopez shares twins Max and Emme, 13, with ex-husband Marc Anthony.

Rodriguez shares daughters Natasha, 16, and Ella, 12, with ex-wife Cynthia Scurtis.

They were collectively known as J-Rod, an amalgamation of Lopez’s nickname J-Lo and Rodriguez’s nickname A-Rod.