Great Britain

Inside brutal decade-long London turf war that sparked Old Bailey brawl with hero barrister fighting off drill rapper

A SHOCKING murder trial brawl inside the Old Bailey was the latest episode in a tit-for-tat turf war which has sparked bloodshed across North London.

The bitter rivalry between the WGM and NPK gangs has been implicated in a string of bloody street battles over the past decade.

Earlier we told how a hero barrister broke up a fight at the murder trial of five drill rappers who killed a rival with swords.

The killers were jailed for a total of 116 years as fighting broke out and prosecutor Oliver Glasgow, QC, was forced to step in.

In terrifying scenes after the judge passed sentence supporters of the killers caused chaos in the court.

One man jumped down from the public gallery and Mr Glasgow rushed over to help restrain him.

The man yelled "I will murder you" to Mr Glasgow and those trying to restrain him he was bundled out of the court and then handcuffed.

The Old Bailey then went into lockdown as three City of London police vans carrying up to 30 officers, including dogs, were called to the scene.

The trial earlier heard how Kamali Gabbidon-Lynck, 19, was cornered by members of a gang called the NPK and murdered in front of terrified customers at the Coffee and Cream Hairdressers in Wood Green.

His friend, 20-year-old Jason Fraser, was stabbed eight times and shot once but survived the murder bid on 22 February this year, the Old Bailey heard.

Tyrell Graham, 18, along with Sheareem Cookhorn, 21, and three 17-year-olds who can now be named - Ojay Hamilton, Shane Lyons and Jayden O'Neill-Crichlow - were all convicted of murder by a jury.

Both victims had links to a Wood Green-based gang called WGM.

Cookhorn was jailed for a minimum of 28 years, Graham for 25 years, O'Neill Crichlow, Lyons and Hamilton were each locked up for a minimum of 21 years.

The three 17-year-olds were also cleared of attempted murder but convicted of wounding with intent.

Mr Glasgow told the court: "The rivalry between these two groups has been a violent and bloody one, with each gang carrying out attacks on their rivals and then boasting about it online.

"These defendants have even boasted about the death of Mr Gabbindon-Lynck in rap lyrics."

A decade-long feud between the rival gangs centres on Lordship Lane, a two-mile stretch between Northumberland Park and Wood Green, reports the MailOnline.

The road covers the N17 and N22 postcodes where the warring gang members live.

The killing of Kamali was part of a long-running feud between NPK and WGM  - fuelled by boasts on social media and drill rap lyrics.

Other have also lost their lives.

The Sun Online previously told how Tanesha Melbourne, 17, was shot dead when she was mistaken for someone else as she left her boyfriend's house in April 2018.

It was reported at the time the teen's tragic death may be linked to a dispute sparked by a gang brawl in a milkshake bar.

However, the trainee hairdresser had no links to gangs and her family said she was simply “in the wrong place at the wrong time”.

Her killer has never been found, but her devastated mum made an appeal last week in a new bid to track down the shooter.

"I just want people to come forward to say what they know, it's heartbreaking," she said.

"Tanesha was innocent and had lots going for her, a lot of goals and dreams.

"It's disgusting how youngsters are able to put their hands on guns like this. They should be into doing something better with their lives rather than taking other people's lives."

The ongoing turf war also led to the death of NPK member Kwabena 'Kobi' Nelson in February 2018.

The 22-year-old was was dragged from his car by men carrying poles and blades before being killed.

Neron Quartey, 21, from Wood Green, was later convicted of murder and sentenced to at least 26 years.

A month after the murder, teen Kelvin Odunuyi was shot in an apparent revenge attack.

However, the family of the privately-educated 19-year-old say he wasn't part of a gang.