A teenager was left fighting for her life after using a bathbomb she later discovered contained milk.

Emelia Brain cried for help from the bathroom moments after she immersed herself in the perfumed water.

The 13-year-old's mum and dad rushed in to find their daughter gasping for air and clawing at her throat.

They sprang into action, puffing ten doses of an inhaler into her mouth before calling 999.

Paramedics arrived within five minutes and plunged shots of antihistamine and adrenaline into Emelia.

Covered in angry red welts, the teenager was blue lighted to New Cross Hospital in Wolverhampton where she was given a big dose of steroids and told she would be alright.

Emelia and her younger sister Elisia
Emelia and her younger sister Elisia

Once her safety was assured, Emelia's dad Scott read the bathbomb's packet to discover it had milk in - something his daughter is severely allergic to.

For mum Maria, the thought of what could have happened to the teenager had she gone into anaphylactic shock while home alone preys on her mind.

"What if we have been down stairs with the door shut?" Maria told The Mirror.

"She could have been in the house by herself. I don't think she would have stood a chance.

"The reaction was so fast because she was ingesting the steam.

"That is the scary thing. It doesn't bear thinking about."

Maria and Scott, who sprang into action, with their daughters
Maria and Scott, who sprang into action, with their daughters

Since a very young age Emelia has had to be careful about what she eats and the cosmetic products she uses.

Her allergies first became clear when she kissed Maria on the lips after she'd been eating a yogurt and her face ballooned up.

Tests found she is allergic to all dairy products, eggs, tree nuts and the cold, and she also has ashtma.

Being aware of how badly ill she could fall if she ate the wrong snack or used the wrong soap, from a young age Emelia learned to diligently read labels.

Along with younger sister Elisia, 8, who has asthma and environmental allergies, Emelia makes videos for her Youtube channel about living life with allergies.

Emilia and Elisia make Youtube videos about living with allergies
Emilia and Elisia make Youtube videos about living with allergies

On January 15 this year she had a momentary lapse when she scanned the Bomb Cosmetics brand Unicorn Christmas Bath Bomb label she'd been given as a gift.

Confident it didn't contain anything she was allergic to, Emelia dunked it into the tub, watched it fizz and then jumped in.

"I had gone to bed when she got into the bath," Maria explained.

"Within a minute and a half she let out this cry for help. I knew she was in trouble. She couldn't breath.

"She had had an allergic reaction before, but this was different."

Emilia has made a full recovery since the scary incident
Emilia has made a full recovery since the scary incident

Thankfully Emelia's parents and paramedics were on hand to stop the violent allergic reaction before it completely stopped her from breathing.

She has now made a full recovery.

When Scott inspected the bathbomb's ingredients list, he noticed that known allergens such as milk were not written in bold, as they are on food products.

"It was labelled legally, but it wasn't in bold," Maria continued.

"For Emelia looking at it she thought she checked them all.

Emelia rolling some dough
Emelia has always had to be careful with what she eats because of her allergies

"For a 13-year-old it didn't stand out. You had to squint to see it."

Now the family are campaigning for allergens on cosmetic products to be written in bold, so people have the best chance possible of avoiding potentially deadly ingredients.

Maria wants to avoid another young person suffering the same tragic end as Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, who collapsed and died after eating a Pret baguette which did not mention sesame seeds in its ingredients list.

"What does it take the change to happen in the law?" asked Maria,

"Is it going to take a tragedy?"

Bomb Cosmetics has been contacted for comment.