Last night, Boris Johnson addressed the nation and announced some huge changes regarding lockdown restrictions for shoppers.
In a speech that is bound to cause divide amongst people, the Prime Minister proposed an easing of lockdown restrictions for establishments such as car showrooms, auction houses and non-essential shops - including clothes shops and toy shops.
The lifting of restrictions means that we are likely to see high street favourites up and running in just a matter of weeks, though retailers will need to ensure they're following strict guidelines to ensure the safety of staff and retailers.
According to the Mirror, shops have been told to "consider" placing a poster in their windows to demonstrate awareness of the guidance and commitment to safety measures.
They've also been advised to store returned items for 72 hours before putting them back out on the shop floor.
Protective coverings could be put on large items touched by the public such as beds or sofas.
And "frequent cleaning" of self-checkouts, trolleys, coffee machines and betting terminals is advised.
The full list of shops that are able to open and their planned dates for reopening are as follows:
This will happen from June 1 onwards, "as soon as they are able to meet the COVID-19 secure guidelines to protect shoppers and workers."
ALL other non-essential retail can reopen from this date including (but not limited to):
Places that can't reopen yet include:
- Restaurants, bars and pubs
- Cafes and canteens
- Hairdressers, barbers, beauty and nail salons
- Piercing and tattoo parlours
- Holiday accommodation including hotels, hostels, B&Bs, holiday rentals, campsites and boarding houses
- Caravan parks/sites for commercial uses
- Community centres
- Places of worship
- Museums and galleries
- Cinemas, theatres and concert halls
- Bingo halls, casinos and betting shops
- Spas and massage parlours
- Skating rinks
- Indoor fitness studios, gyms, swimming pools or other indoor leisure centres
- Indoor arcades, bowling alleys, soft play centres and similar facilities
- Playgrounds, outdoor gyms and outdoor swimming pools