Great Britain

Football fans will be able to return to stadiums next month as lockdown restrictions are eased further

FOOTBALL fans will finally begin returning to stadiums next month — but may not be allowed to sing.

A further easing of lockdown rules will also see snooker lovers back in the Crucible this weekend for the World Championship.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

Rugby matches and racing at Goodwood are also on the list of approved “pilot” events in the coming weeks.

But capacity will be capped and all fans will likely be urged not to chant or shout for fear of spreading the virus.

The new Premier League season starts on September 12.

Trials of allowing some fans back in stadiums will be tested later that month ahead of a planned full rollout in October.

Spectators will be made to sign up to a new code of behaviour.

It will make them take full responsibility for themselves and others by not attending if they have Covid symptoms or have been exposed to anyone with them.

STRICT CROWD MANAGEMENT

And strict crowd management plans will be enforced with one-way entry and exit and staggered arrival times.

Seating will be socially distanced and hand washing and sanitiser stations set up.

But no trials are scheduled for the North West, which remains under stricter control.

Tonight Boris Johnson said: “At every stage I have said our plan to reopen society and the economy is conditional.

“Today we are able to announce some further changes which will allow more people to return to work and the public to get back to more of the things they have missed.


The Sun Says

GET in there!

The return of football since mid-June has been an absolute joy, with no shortage of excitement on the pitch, but something has definitely been missing.

That something is the crowd.

Supporters are the lifeblood of the game so it’s great news that stadiums could see a return of fans for the new season, albeit at a quarter of capacity.

It’s just a shame they might not be allowed to sing, whether they’re winning or not.

“However, as I have always said, we will not hesitate to put on the brakes if required, or to continue to implement local measures to help to control the spread of the virus.”

Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden added: “The nation’s hard work to keep the virus under control means we can now make further careful progress.

“We must all continue to Stay Alert but today’s welcome news means these organisations can finally get going safely, and we can enjoy more of the things we love as a nation.”

West Ham postpone Sunday’s pre-season friendly vs Ipswich after positive coronavirus test among backroom staff

GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL [email protected]

Football news:

Rui Costa: Ronaldo will be discussed in 300 years
Everton offered 20+6 million pounds for Norwich defender Godfrey
Olas about AUAR: Three major clubs are Interested. Talks are difficult
Goretzka due to back problems will miss the match with Borussia in the German super Cup
Zinchenko will miss at least three weeks due to injury
Bayern want to buy Kramaric. He scored a double against Munich last week
Benfica coach on Dias' departure: We are only financially weaker than the city. He is leaving a bigger club