Great Britain

Football fan, 48, dies five years after being attacked and left permanently brain damaged by rival supporters


A FOOTBALL fan has died five years after being attacked by rival supporters at an away game.

Simon Dobbin, 48, from Mildenhall, Suffolk, was left with permanent brain damage and unable to walk or talk following the incident on March 2015.

The Cambridge United supporter had travelled to see his side play away at Southend when he was ambushed by a group of hooligans.

The dad-of-three was repeatedly kicked and stamped on as he walked to Prittlewell station in the Essex town.

Nine men were found guilty of violent disorder and a further three were convicted of conspiracy to commit violent disorder following a trial.

The tragic news was announced by Cambridge United today, who said Simon had passed away at home this morning.

The club said: "It is with a heavy heart that Cambridge United can confirm we have received the devastating news that Simon Dobbin sadly passed away at home this morning.

"Sweet dreams Simon. Forever a U."

Simon's wife spoke of her heartache earlier this year after revealing all 12 men convicted in connection with the attack had been freed from prison.

She said at the time: "It feels like a slap in the face.

"Every time I look at Simon, I can see the damage they caused him.

"They are monsters. They didn’t give any consideration to what they were doing."

Three of the 12 men were jailed for five years for violent disorder.

One of those, Ryan Carter, was the last of the gang to be released in February this year.

The hooligans scouted out locations as they planned the attack in revenge for a fight earlier in the day in which Mr Dobbin had no involvement.

They ambushed the small group of Cambridge United supporters and during the violence, Mr Dobbin was kicked and stamped on repeatedly.

Police called Simon "a thoroughly decent man" who was the "entirely innocent victim of an unprovoked, savage attack".

Twelve jailed over 'savage' attack

The men were found guilty following a six-week trial at Basildon Crown Court after jurors delivered unanimous verdicts on all but one defendant.

Nine men were found to have been directly involved in the violent disorder, while three were involved in a conspiracy.

Rhys Pullen, 21, Ryan Carter, 21, Jamie Chambers, 24, Lewis Courtnell, 34, Scott Nicholls, 40, Matthew Petchey, 26, Thomas Randall, 22, Alexander Woods, 25 and James Woods, 25, were convicted of violent disorder.

Greg Allen, 29, Phil McGill, 32, and Michael Shawyer, 31, were convicted of conspiracy to commit violent disored.

Text messages from defendant Thomas Randall suggested co-defendants Ryan Carter and Rhys Pullen had been "knocked out" and Michael Shawyer was left "fuming".

Another message said: "Going to kick off big time after the game. We are going to ambush them."

Nicole became Simon's full time carer after the horrific attack.

Supporters have been asked to leave messages of condolence for Simon's family on Cambridge United's Twitter page.

Football news:

Red bull tore up Lokomotiv with a perfect variety of attacks. The stricken Loco didn't know what to do
The Spanish super Cup may not take place in Saudi Arabia, but in Spain
Goals by Zobnin, Kuzyaev and Skopintsev claim the title of best in November
Romelu Lukaku: one and a Half years at Inter are the best in my career
Bulykin on Loko's chances of reaching the Europa League play-offs: it Will be very difficult to do anything
Joao Felix: Atletico are missing Suarez and Costa
Loko didn't know what to do when Red Bull scored first. Naumov about 1:3