A fire believed to have been started in a bedroom caused severe damage to a family home.

Emergency services were alerted at 5.08pm to reports of a fire in the family terraced house on Clough Road near Speke Boulevard.

Flames and thick black smoke were seen erupting from an attic window in the roof as worried neighbours looked on.

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and what's on updates from the Liverpool ECHO by signing up here.

Three fire engines arrived on the scene within minutes to find the family had already evacuated the burning and were standing outside.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus and jets entered the home and were able to quickly control the blaze.

By 5.26pm the flames had reportedly been completely put out.

The fire is thought to have started accidentally on the second floor of the home.

A bedroom, which suffered severe damage during the blaze, is suspected to have been the location of the fire.

Worried neighbours look on as flames and smoke pour from the top of the family home in Clough Road, Speke
Worried neighbours look on as flames and smoke pour from the top of the family home in Clough Road, Speke

So far, no cause has yet been confirmed.

Fire crews finally left the scene around 8.15pm after checking for hot spots and completing their initial investigations.

Keep up to date with what's going on in your local area by entering your postcode below.

For the latest news and breaking news visit http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/.

Get all the big headlines, pictures, analysis, opinion and video on the stories that matter to you.

We're also on Facebook/theliverpoolecho - your must-see news, features, videos and pictures throughout the day from the Liverpool ECHO.