Great Britain

Ed Woodward RESIGNS, Glazers LATEST, European Super League plans in tatters, Sir Alex Ferguson and Beckham speak out

ED WOODWARD has sensationally resigned as Man Utd executive vice-chairman with the European Super League project looking doomed.

Just days after confirming United were part of the 12-club breakaway, Chelsea and Man City have already withdrawn to leave the proposal in tatters.

Club legends Sir Alex Ferguson and David Beckham had earlier come out and slammed the ESL plans.

Stay up to date with our blog, below, for all the latest from Old Trafford...

  • GARY ON CELEBRATING

    It appears the news of Ed Woodward stepping away from Manchester United has been well received by Gary Neville.

    Old Trafford legend Neville passionately opposed the proposed European Super League, which appears to be crumbling minute by minute.

    Chelsea, Manchester City, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are reportedly preparing to walk away from the rebel breakaway league.

  • ED'S GONE

    Here are more details from SunSport's Manchester United reporter Neil Custis on Ed Woodward's departure.

    Ed Woodward has sensationally quit Manchester United amid the Super League crisis.

    The news is a stunning blow to the ‘Dirty Dozen’ of football clubs who have already signed up to the controversial new league, six of them from the Premier League.

    But the severity of the backlash has rocked United’s Executive Vice-Chairman and he has decided to step aside after a 16-year association with the club.

    It is believed he may have walked out of his job on a point of principle. If so he will be the most significant footballing figure to take a stand against the hated Super League.  

    The father of two clearly no longer wants to be targeted by fans who see this as a cash grab for a cartel of clubs.

    The announcement about the new Super League came on Sunday.

    United were convinced the initial backlash would eventually subside and wanted to work with the Premier League to ensure the domestic game would not be affected.

    But the response from fans and the remaining 14 clubs in the Premier League who have been left out of the negotiations has clearly had a massive effect and the whole project must now be in jeopardy.

    One of the final straws will have come yesterday when UEFA President Aleksander Ceferin referred to Woodward and his fellow rebel club leaders as ‘snakes’ and ‘liars’.

    Woodward previously faced opposition from United fans having advised the Glazers during their unpopular takeover of the club back in 2005.

    He was later recruited into the finance and commercial departments before becoming effectively Chief Executive in 2013 when David Gill stepped down.

  • WOOD YOU BELIEVE IT

    More breaking news as according to talkSPORT, Ed Woodward has resigned as chairman of Manchester United.

    Woodward and United’s owners, the Glazers, are said to be driving forced behind the proposed European Super League.

    He stepped down from his role with Uefa amid the club’s involvement with the Super League.

    But now, with Chelsea, City, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid looking to leave the rebel breakaway season, Woodward is rumoured to have walked from United.

  • MORE ON CHELSEA’S ESL DEPARTURE

    According to the Dail Telegraph, Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich decided the Blues could not go ahead with joining the ESL.

    Along with with the board, Abramovich gave the green light for the club to start preparing documentation to pull out.

    Fast developing story…

  • CITY BREAK

    Just as the news breaks Chelsea are preparing to pull out of the proposed European Super League… so too are Manchester City.

    According to SunSport’s Martin Lipton, City have told organisers they no longer want to be part of the £4.6billion scheme.

    IT’S ALL FALLING APART.

  • SHAW THING

    Luke Shaw has spoken out about the proposed European Super League.

    The Manchester United defender shared his thoughts on Twitter.

  • BREAKING

    BBC Sport reporting Chelsea are now preparing documentation to request withdrawing from the proposed European Super League.

    It would mean they are the first to split from ESL.

  • REALITY CECH

    Chelsea fans stopped traffic outside Stamford Bridge as they protested the European Super League before tonight's game against Brighton.

    Numerous Blues supporters gathered at the London ground with anti-ESL banners as they demanded Roman Abramovich back away from the controversial plans.

    A line of police officers were then seen trying to keep the crowd from getting into the road and preventing further traffic from moving.

    One sign called on Abramovich to 'do the right thing', and another mourned: "1905-2021. RIP CFC. Save The Bridge."

    The protest came after SunSport exclusively revealed Chelsea players were left concerned by the official ESL announcement on Sunday - as well as the threat of being banned from the Champions League following their semi-final achievement.

  • 'BIG SIX' FACE GRILLING

    European Super League rebels face being summoned to appear before MPs.

    Committee chair and Tory MP Julian Knight said: “The DCMS Committee has given its strong support for a hearing on these momentous developments in the football world.

    “We are in discussion with key players and will want to hear from major stakeholders as the impact of the new European Super League proposals unfold.”

    That foreshadows uncomfortable inquisitions for the club bosses, although it is unlikely United’s Joel Glazer, Liverpool owner John Henry or Roman Abramovich could be compelled to attend.

    Knight added: “We will reflect the widely-expressed concerns of supporters which will be at the centre of our investigation.

    "We welcome the Government’s fan-led review announced yesterday, finally given the impetus to go ahead by these seismic events.

    “No-one will be off limits in our determination to establish what needs to be done to safeguard the preciously held enjoyment the sport gives to people and to protect its legacy for the future.”

  • FEELING BLUE

    Chelsea fans have protested against the proposed European Super League outside of Stamford Bridge.

    The Blues are one of the rebel six Premier League clubs who have signed up to the breakaway ESL.

    But ahead of Chelsea's home match against Brighton, supporters have made their feelings known.

  • 'VIGOROUSLY REJECT PLANS'

    The Premier League have released a statement announcing all 14 clubs 'unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans' for the European Super League.

    The statement read: "The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

    "The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

    "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules.

    "The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

    "The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.

    "The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people."

  • EURO DIVIDE

    LaLiga chief Javier Tebas is the latest high-profile name to slam the European Super League plans.

    Tebas also hit out at ‘clueless’ Real Madrid president Florentino Perez following his remarkable statement on the new plans.

    Perez, the prime driver of the £4.6billion project, became the first of the 12 breakaway club owners to speak publicly about the plans in a TV interview in Spain.

    In his statement, he suggested games could be shortened to accommodate the younger generation, supporters are losing interest in football, and that it would ‘save football.’

    But Tebas, like the vast majority of those involved in football, has fired a scathing response and instead called it the ‘death of football.’

    He posted on Twitter: “In December 2020 I said that Florentino Perez was pretty clueless, but right now he’s lost.

    “Football isn’t completely ruined like he says, nor is the Super League, which is one of the problems, the solution… it’s the death of football.”

  • EURO DIVIDE

    LaLiga chief Javier Tebas is the latest high-profile name to slam the European Super League plans.

    Tebas also hit out at 'clueless' Real Madrid president Florentino Perez following his remarkable statement on the new plans.

    Perez, the prime driver of the £4.6billion project, became the first of the 12 breakaway club owners to speak publicly about the plans in a TV interview in Spain.

    In his statement, he suggested games could be shortened to accommodate the younger generation, supporters are losing interest in football, and that it would 'save football.'

    But Tebas, like the vast majority of those involved in football, has fired a scathing response and instead called it the 'death of football.'

    He posted on Twitter: "In December 2020 I said that Florentino Perez was pretty clueless, but right now he's lost.

    "Football isn't completely ruined like he says, nor is the Super League, which is one of the problems, the solution… it's the death of football."

  • ICYMI

    Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has reportedly called an emergency meeting between all Premier League captains.

    The Mail reports the England midfielder has taken the action as the fall-out from the breakaway Super League continues.

    The 30-year-old will chair meeting with club reps from sides in and out of the breakaway.

    Henderson previously helped lead players in their response to the crisis caused by the pandemic.

  • MORE ON LEVY

    Another club boss added: “Daniel can paint himself as a victim but nobody was buying that at all. It’s too late for that.”

    Richard Masters and the Prem leadership, as well as the clubs outside the Big Six, were left bolstered by a firm vow from PM Boris Johnson that he will bring in urgent legislation that would prevent the Six from joining the £4.6billion scheme.

    That meeting involved representatives of Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United supporters’ trusts and the Football Supporters Association, FA chief executive Mark Bullingham, as well as Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden.

    Johnson is understood to have made it abundantly clear to the meeting that he would simply not allow the breakaway to take place.

  • WHO ARE YA?

    Manchester United are owned by the Glazers but who are the other people behind the breakaway Super League.

  • 'VIGOROUSLY REJECT PLANS'

    The Premier League have released a statement announcing all 14 clubs 'unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans' for the European Super League.

    A crisis meeting was held this morning with all top-flight clubs except the 'big six' who want to form a breakaway league. And the Prem reassured everything in their power will be done to prevent the plans from going ahead.

    It adds how they will also hold shareholders to account for their role in the farce while hinting at bans.

    The statement read: "The Premier League, alongside The FA, met with clubs today to discuss the immediate implications of the Super League proposal.

    "The 14 clubs at the meeting unanimously and vigorously rejected the plans for the competition.

    "The Premier League is considering all actions available to prevent it from progressing, as well as holding those Shareholders involved to account under its rules.

    "The League will continue to work with key stakeholders including fan groups, Government, UEFA, The FA, EFL, PFA and LMA to protect the best interests of the game and call on those clubs involved in the proposed competition to cease their involvement immediately.

    "The Premier League would like to thank fans and all stakeholders for the support they have shown this week on this significant issue.The reaction proves just how much our open pyramid and football community means to people."

Football news:

Griezmann spoke with Hamilton and visited the Mercedes boxes at the Spanish Grand Prix
Barcelona feels that Neymar used it. He said that he wanted to return, but extended his contract with PSG (RAC1)
Aubameyang to the Arsenal fans: We wanted to give you something good. I am sorry that we could not
Atletico did not lose at the Camp Nou. Busquets' injury is the turning point of the match (and the championship race?)
Verratti injured his knee ligaments in PSG training. Participation in the Euro is still in question
Neymar's contract in one picture. Mbappe wants the same one
Manchester United would like to sign Bellingham in the summer, not Sancho. Borussia do not intend to sell Jude