The devastated daughters of a fatal crash victim cleaned their dad's blood from the pavement after he was hit by a drug driver.

Patrick “Paddy” Moore, 62, from Runcorn, was hit by a Fiat Punto on Halton Brook Avenue in Runcorn on October 5, 2019.

Statements were read out by his five daughters shortly before driver Gemma Clout was jailed for six years today at Chester Crown Court.

The court was told Clout, 32, of Folly Farm Close, Warrington, probably “had to step over” the 62-year-old before fleeing the scene in her boyfriend’s van.

Mr Moore's daughters provided details from the night of the crash, as well as the traumatic ordeal of the five months of medical uncertainty and bedside vigils as he fought for his life, sometimes able to communicate by blinking.

Each statement was different and the death had affected each daughter in a different way.

Their words also brought to life the disruption to the grieving process during the pandemic, of not being able to honour their father’s wish to be buried in Ireland with his wife - their mother, who had already passed away when Mr Moore, 62, of Runcorn, died in hospital on March 11 last year, leaving them “orphans”.

Their father also had to undergo two autopsy examinations, leading the funeral directors not to look at the body before he was cremated due to the deterioration of the body in the time elapsed.

Find your nearest vaccination centre by using your postcode below

Among the statements, his daughter Angela told the court her dad was a crucial support to her family, and helped to look after her four children.

His daughter Jennifer spoke of how the family was now “unable to fulfil his last wish of going back home to Ireland” for his final resting place.

She called the grief “too much to take”, adding: “I never believed my dad was going to die: my dad, my best friend, was too strong to die.”

Youngest daughter Maria said she would usually receive a text from her dad at about 11pm to say he was home all right, but that night of October 5, 2019, no text arrived.

She became “scared and worried” and called a taxi to check on him, and at the property found the lights were on but no-one home.

Clout was sentenced to six years in prison and banned from driving for four years.

Soon she learned the horrific news he had been injured.

She said: "I entered and shouted for my dad only to hear nothing.

“I phoned his phone multiple times and got no answer.

“I knew something was wrong.

“Panicking, I called my sister and as I was on the phone to my sister his phone rang me back.

“I answered to a policeman saying my father had been hit in a hit-and-run and taken to Fazakerley hospital.”

The junction of Halton Brook Avenue and Boston Avenue in Runcorn.

Maria also described the trauma of seeing him unable to move his arms or legs or speak, as she tried to reassure him “he would get better”.

When doctors said life support was to be withdrawn, they were “reluctant” to wait for all five daughters to be present, but she pressed the issue and persuaded them.

She said: “He passed away with all his family around him, for this I was grateful.”

Mr Moore’s daughter Dee told the court the incident had left her suffering traumatic symptoms such as the sound of rainfall being transformed from a soothing sleep aid into a trigger to bring back the horror of October 5, 2019, the nightmares that go with it, and the flashback of “scrubbing the pavement, all the congealed blood splatter”.

All the latest news from Liverpool Crown Court

She told the court she saw her dad’s face three months after the collision, his eyelids sewn shut and the skin too fragile to touch.

The ordeal and time pressures of visiting him during his fight for life had left her training and career as a football physio in jeopardy, having been asked to leave her job.

Dee said Clout had left “my dad on the side of the street bleeding out” and branded her “an inhumane person, who had lied about him, and from what I’ve heard, laughed about it.”

“I want you to hear how you destroyed our lives.”