Sir David Amess' final act as an MP was to discuss an initiative for kids to understand politics before he was fatally stabbed.

The MP for Southend West ended the call at 12pm on Friday with Richard Hillgrove, a PR professional where they were chatting about a Children’s Parliament, and minutes later he was tragically dead.

Mr Hillgrove was talking to Sir David about the initiative where kids get to meet MPs and have the chance to talk about key political issues.

Sir David was his usual self with plenty of enthusiasm and discussing topics that could be discussed like the voting system, it is reported.

Mr Hillgrove’s own daughter Lola, 11, had already been matched with Sir David who had gone to her school and she had her picture taken with him, reported the Sunday Times.

The MP for Southend West ended a call at 12pm on Friday with Richard Hillgrove, a PR professional where they were chatting about a Children’s Parliament (



What had began as a routine day suddenly turned to horror with Mr Hillgrove saying he ended the Zoom call ending at 12.02pm so that the MP could hold his constituency surgery at the Belfairs Methodist Church.

Yet by 12.05pm Sir David had been stabbed to death and Mr Hillgrove followed the news on the television in shock.

“I didn’t even realise it was Sir David at first,” he said.

“I was absolutely horrified. Every minute that passed seemed like an hour. The longer it went, the more concerning it got.”

Then the news came through that the stabbing had been fatal.

Later his daughter Lola came home in tears, Mr Hillgrove reportedly said.

Just minutes after the phone call about the Children's Parliament, Sir David was stabbed to death

“I was honoured to have known him,” Hillgrove said. “He was such an inspiration; his engagement was incredible. He made sense of a crazy world.”

The man arrested on suspicion of murder following the brutal stabbing of the Tory MP has been named as Ali Harbi Ali, according to Whitehall officials, cited by the BBC's security correspondent Frank Gardner.

The Met police have said in a statement that detectives obtained a warrant to further detain the man under section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

The warrant obtained on Saturday at Westminster Magistrates' means the force can now keep him in custody till October 22.

The suspect, who is currently being held at a London police station, is understood to be a British national with Somali heritage who wasn't known as a subject of interest to security service MI5 ahead of the attack.

Read More Read More