Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab has urged all British nationals to leave China in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
The plea from the Conservative minister comes as fears rise over the spread of the disease after Hong Kong confirmed its first death.
So far the virus has claimed 427 lives and more than 20,000 people worldwide have come down with the illness.
In Britain, there have been two confirmed cases, a University of York student and one of their relatives, who are being treated at the specialist infections disease unit at Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary.
In a statement, Mr Raab said: “The safety and security of British people will always be our top priority.
“As such, we now advise British Nationals in China to leave the country if they can, to minimise their risk of exposure to the virus.
"Where there are still British Nationals in Hubei Province who wish to be evacuated, we will continue to work around the clock to facilitate this."
Search the latest news, property listings, jobs, planning applications, public notices and more. To get breaking news sent to your phone, download the ChronicleLive app here.
On Thursday, the Staycity Hotel in York was put on lockdown after a man, believed to be a Chinese national, was taken to the RVI after falling ill.
An outbreak investigation team has been formed to trace anyone who has been in contact with the two patients to prevent the illness spreading.
An update to the Foreign Office's travel advise says: "The British Consulates-General in Wuhan and Chongqing are currently closed. If you’re in China and able to leave, you should do so. The elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions may be at heightened risk.
"Some airlines, including British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, have announced a suspension of flights to and from mainland China. Other commercial airlines are still operating, but it may become harder to access departure options over the coming weeks."