A cat was given oxygen therapy and a man treated for burns after a fire broke out at a house late on Tuesday night.
Two fire crews from Bacup attended the property after receiving reports of a kitchen fire at a house in Christ Church Street, Bacup, at around 10.50pm.
On arrival, firefighters found the occupants of the house, two adults and two children, had managed to escape the fire after being alerted by their smoke alarm.
A spokesperson for the fire service said: "Four firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the property to extinguish the fire, which we believe had started due to an electrical fault with a kitchen appliance.
"The crews rescued two cats and one hamster from the house, and firefighters had to administer oxygen to one of the cats, who had suffered from smoke inhalation.
"One adult male was also treated for minor burns.
"Luckily, the family had a working smoke alarm which had allowed them to evacuate the property."
Crews were in attendance for around two hours.