Caroline Flack took a swipe at Love Island just hours before quitting show.

The long-time Love Island host, 40, has stepped down from presenting the first ever winter series amid her assault charge.

ITV bosses were said to be having crisis talks about the show after Flack was arrested for allegedly assaulting her boyfriend Lewis Burton on Friday.

In the latest development, Caroline has taken a step away from the show.

However, just hours before making the news public, the presenter liked a tweet which called the show an "orgy".

Caroline Flack likes tweet attacking Love Island just hours before stepping down

The tweet Caroline liked read: "The show should honestly be called orgy island anyway, that show is not about love... it’s about fake boobies and sunscreen."

The Mirror approached Caroline Flack's representative for further comment.

Caroline will stand down as the host of Love Island following her assault charge.

The presenter, who was due to present the sixth series of the ITV2 show in January, said she is "absolutely devastated" by the decision.

The long-time Love Island host, 40, has stepped down from presenting the first ever winter series amid her assault charge

She wrote in a statement: "Love Island has been my world for the last five years, it's the best show on telly.

"In order not to detract from the attention of the upcoming series I feel the best thing I can do is stand down for Series 6."

She continued: "I want to wish the incredible team working on the show a fantastic series in Cape Town."

Caroline was arrested after an alleged row with her tennis champ boyfriend Lewis Burton

ITV sources claimed the door is always open to the star and maintain it was her decision to quit the show.

Caroline continued: "And on a really personal level. I have never experienced such kindness and love in my whole life.

"Not just from friends and family who are always the greatest... but also from total strangers who send me messages to me offering help and understanding... please know that I see them."

She then finished the post with a tribute to her partner, Lewis Burton: "And my boyfriend Lewis... I love you x."

In a statement, ITV said: "ITV has a long standing relationship with Caroline and we understand and accept her decision.

"We will remain in contact with her over the coming months about future series of Love Island."

It comes after Caroline was arrested at her London home on Thursday 12 December accused of attacking her boyfriend Lewis.

Read More

Showbiz editor's picks

Officers arrested the TV presenter and later charged her with assault by beating.

Flack is bailed to appear before Highbury Corner Magistrates' Court on December 23.

There had been fears the controversy would leave Caroline unable to host the first ever winter series of Love Island which starts two weeks later on January 8.