Mr Johnson is still married to second wife Marina Wheeler but he and Ms Wheeler announced they were in the process of divorcing in September 2018. Carrie Symonds has been the Prime Minister’s partner since last year. A source told The Sun: “Most women of the Queen’s generation simply wouldn’t want an unmarried couple staying with them and sharing a bedroom and she is no different, so it was totally inappropriate of Boris.
“What was perhaps more troubling for the Queen was that he turned up with an unmarried woman who’s young enough to be his daughter.”
Mr Johnson is 55 and Miss Symonds is 31.
The source continued: “The Queen is the head of the Church of England.
“She felt uncomfortable about it.
“It’s just not something she approves of.”
The Palace declined to comment.
Mr Johnson married Ms Wheeler in 1993, the same year he divorced his first wife Allegra Mostyn-Owen.
The couple separated last year.
The last unmarried Prime Minister before Mr Johnson was Edward Heath who was a bachelor.
Balmoral is located in Aberdeenshire.
It is the private property of the royal family and not part of the crown estate.
Queen tradition: Royal staff must choose gifts 9 MONTHS in advance (INSIGHT)
Prince Philip news: The SHOCKING advice Philip gave Prince Andrew (LATEST)
Prince Philip would rather 'spend Christmas alone' than with family (ANALYSIS)
Prince Albert purchased the estate in 1852 for his wife, Queen Victoria.
In 1887, Victoria’s daughter Princess Beatrice gave birth to Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg at Balmoral.
Victoria Eugenie would marry King Alfonso XIII of Spain in 1906 and would become Queen consort of Spain.
Other royal residencies in Scotland include Palace of Holyrood House, the Queen’s official residence in Scotland.
There is also Birchall, the Scottish residence of Charles, Prince of Wales.
Charles inherited the property in 2002 from his grandmother Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother upon her death.
Albert also bought Birchall in 1849 and gave it to his eldest son the future King Edward VII.
Holyrood Palace was the primary seat of the Scottish royal court until 1603 when King James VI of Scotland also became King James I of England.
During the reign of King George V it underwent refurbishment and was designated the monarch’s official residence in Scotland.