The BBC's coverage of Prince Philip 's death was reportedly met with 100,000 complaints from angry viewers.

The broadcaster scrapped its usual schedule after news broke of the Duke of Edinburgh's death at the age of 99 shortly after noon on Friday.

The scheduled programmes were replaced with 24 hours of coverage for the Queen's late husband across the BBC's radio and TV channels.

Even the MasterChef final was ditched in favour of tribute programmes for the prince.

But according to The Sun, some viewers were angry that their shows were side-lined, and it's even said that the coverage is one of the most complained about things in the history of British TV.

The BBC dedicated 24 hours of coverage to Prince Philip's death
The BBC dedicated 24 hours of coverage to Prince Philip's death

An insider told the publication: "I feel sorry for the Beeb.

"They would be criticised and accused of not being respectful enough if they didn’t lay the programmes on.

"But they seem to have left many people very cross."

It's said that so many people contacted the broadcaster to make complaints that they put a special form on their website to make it easier to process them all.

How the BBC announced the news
How the BBC announced the news

Many people took to Twitter to air their grievances, including former Labour MP Chris Mullins, a junior minister under Tony Blair, who labelled the tributes "North Korea style".

Ex-BBC newsreader Simon McCoy had his say too, tweeting: "BBC1 and BBC2 showing the same thing. And presumably the News Channel too. Why?

"I know this is a huge event. But surely the public deserve a choice of programming?"

And despite reports that viewing figures on BBC Two are said to have dipped by a huge 64% when compared to the previous Friday, a spokesperson said: "We are proud of our coverage and the role we play during moments of national significance."

The Queen's husband died at the age of 99
The Queen's husband died at the age of 99

Earlier today, it was reported that the BBC had taken down its online complaints form over the blanket coverage of Prince Philip's death following a massive response from viewers.

The special form was removed, leaving behind the message: "Sorry, this page isn't available."

The link had previously led to a page that read: "We’re receiving complaints about too much TV coverage of the death of HRH Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

"Please enter your email address below to register a complaint about this – we’ll then send you the BBC’s response as soon as it is available."