Sporting are determined to get their Europa League tie against Aberdeen ON – even if they have to field players from their B team.

But it looks like Dons won’t know if the tie will go ahead until the day of the game when they are already in Portugal.

Sporting have been hit with a Covid-19 crisis after NINE players and their coach Ruben Amorim tested positive.

Their Primeira Liga game against Gil Vincente this weekend has already been postponed.

Sporting are in talks with UEFA to ensure the Aberdeen tie goes ahead and are isolating at a training camp in the Algarve.

UEFA will make a final decision after further Covid-19 tests 24 hours before kick-off.

The club’s fit players trained yesterday in Lagos and will be tested again today but Sporting will field younger players from their B side or youth set-up if necessary.

A source at Sporting said: “The situation is changing all the time but we are determined to play the game.”

Skipper Sebastian Coates also wants the tie to go ahead on Thursday.

The former Liverpool defender said: “The last week hasn’t been normal with the Covid problems.

“But we need to assess the situation and adhere to the authorities. We are confident the match will be okay. A defeat against the Scottish club would be disastrous.”