United Kingdom

White House acknowledges mysterious health attacks dubbed 'Havana syndrome' ALSO occurred in U.S.

The White House has revealed that mysterious health incidents that had been affecting American personnel based overseas have also been occurring in the U.S.

Several potential incidents have occurred in the United States in 2019 and 2020 that appear similar to previous suspected 'directed' radio frequency attacks that caused a mysterious illness and include one attack that happened near the White House. 

 U.S. agencies are said to be investigating two possible incidents that appear similar to other mysterious illnesses that impacted diplomats in Cuba and elsewhere known as 'Havana syndrome' named after the first cluster of cases at the U.S. Embassy in Cuba.

The White House has revealed that mysterious health incidents that had been affecting American personnel based overseas have also been occurring in the U.S.

The illnesses have been dubbed the 'Havana syndrome' after American diplomats were targeted in Havana, Cuba

But now pressure is coming from Congress to try and figure out what has affected so many U.S. diplomats, spies and other officials. 

'At this point, at this moment, we don't know the cause of these incidents, which are both limited in nature and the vast majority of which have been reported overseas,' said White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Friday as she acknowledged the newly reported cases in the U.S. 

One of the incidents occurred last year near the White House Ellipse in which a national security council staffer was sickened.

In another, a White House official reported feeling some symptoms while walking her dog in the Washington suburb of Arlington in 2019. 

One of the incidents occurred last year near the White House Ellipse in which a national security council staffer was sickened (pictured) 

What is Havana syndrome? 

Havana syndrome is a set of medical signs and symptoms reported by United States embassy staff in Cuba dating back to late 2016 as well as in some other countries, including the United States.

President Donald Trump accused Cuba of perpetrating unspecified attacks causing these symptoms in 2017. The U.S. reduced staff at their embassy to a minimum in as a restul.

Studies of the diplomats affected in Cuba, found evidence they experienced some form of brain injury.

There is currently no consensus on the causes of the symptoms

Government investigators are examining a suspected attack on US personnel in Miami last year. 

Since the first attacks were reported in Cuba, and after that in China, scientists and doctors and debated the causes and effects, without a uniform conclusion. 

More than 40 diplomats as far back as 2016 have reported nausea, headache, dizziness and other unexplained symptoms, triggering intense speculation.

A U.S. government report in December said 'directed' radio frequency was the most plausible explanation for the symptoms plaguing diplomats abroad. 

In February, the U.S. State Department said the U.S. investigation was still ongoing. 

On Friday, Biden's National Security Council said it was conducting 'a full review of intelligence reporting to ascertain whether there may be previously unreported incidents that fit a broader pattern,' a spokesperson confirmed to ABC News.  .

The Trump administration initially said affected personnel had suffered 'health attacks,' but whether they were an 'attack' of the 'work of a foreign actor' was still under 'active inquiry..

Hit by mysterious microwaves? The US embassy in Havana

The still unexplained attacks have caused sickness and even brain damage in US diplomats and intelligence officials in Cuba, China, Russia, and other countries.

Moscow is suspected to be behind them, even if the mechanism for them has yet to be explained. Scientists have theorized that the attacks arise from pulsed microwaves.

'This pattern of attacking our fellow citizens serving our government appears to be increasing. The Senate Intelligence Committee intends to get to the bottom of this,' Senators Mark Warner, the committee's Democratic chairman, and Marco Rubio, its Republican vice chairman said last week.  

Sens. Mark Warner (left) and Marco Rubio (right), the leaders of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said last month that incidents similar to suspected 'directed' radio frequency attacks on U.S. diplomats appear to be increasing and the committee was investigating

Neither the White House nor Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines have denied the reports when questioned.

'It's not clear whether the information we're getting is correct or incorrect,' Senator Jeanne Shaheen told Haines. 'The horse is out of the barn on this. The information is already out there, and I think it behooves us all to try to make sure that the information that gets out is accurate and that people understand what's happening.' 

Haines told the Senate Armed Services Committee she could not discuss the issue openly because it involved classified information. 

Warner and Rubio said they welcomed renewed investigation by the CIA into the incidents, noting it was important 'to better understand the technology behind the weapon responsible for these attacks.'

'Ultimately we will identify those responsible for these attacks on American personnel and will hold them accountable,' they said. 

Football news:

Smertin recalls Euro 2004: he almost fought in the joints, defended against the young Cristiano and understood the excitement of the Bridge
Gareth Southgate: We shouldn't be football snobs. In matches with top teams, diversity is important
Leonid Slutsky: I am still sure that the Finnish national team is the outsider of our group. They were very lucky against Denmark
I'm not a racist! Arnautovic apologized for insulting the players of the national team of North Macedonia
Gary Lineker: Mbappe is a world-class star, he will replace Ronaldo, but not Messi. Leo does things that others are not capable of
The Spanish fan has been going to the matches of the national team since 1979. He came to the Euro with the famous drum (he could have lost it during the lockdown)
Ronaldo removed the sponsored Coca-Cola at a press conference. Cristiano is strongly against sugar - does not even advertise it