United Kingdom

Weapons fanatic, 63, pulls out four-foot SWORD and partially severs police officer's finger

Shocking footage shows the moment a police officer's finger is partially severed after a man pulls out a hidden four-foot-long sword. 

Footage captured on bodycam shows Anthony Browne, 63, suddenly lunging towards the officer after pulling the large weapon from behind his back at a property in Dagenham, east London.    

The Met police officer, who was attending the home on reports of a man behaving aggressively, was hit by the sword which broke his hand and partially severed his finger.    

Browne was arrested at the scene on suspicion of grievous bodily harm with intent and common assault.

He was jailed for seven years and four months after admitting to GBH at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, 16 April.

The officer was taken to an east London hospital for treatment. His injuries were not life-threatening but required surgery and ongoing treatment. 

Detective Chief Superintendent Stephen Clayman said: 'Anyone watching the body-worn video footage will agree that it is completely unacceptable that officers are met with extreme violence like this.

The Met police officer, who was attending the home on reports of Anthony Browne, 63, (pictured) behaving aggressively, was hit by the sword which partially severed his finger

Here Browne can be seen charging towards the officer as he tries to detain him

The officer pushed Browne to the ground grabbing the weapon from his hand

'The officer's colleagues were certainly quickly on scene when the alarm was raised.

'The fact his injuries were not life-threatening was fortunate, particularly for Browne, who could have found himself facing even more serious charges.

'I'm quite sure that this will have a lasting impact on the officer concerned who showed great courage in the face of danger.

'The dramatic escalation of violence and aggression showed by Browne highlights both the bravery and risks police officers often face, particularly in someone's own home.

Anthony Browne (pictured) of Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, was sentenced to seven years and four months' imprisonment at Snaresbrook Crown Court on Friday, April 16

'It also demonstrates that anyone who assaults an officer whilst carrying out their duty, no matter what the circumstances, will find themselves before the courts, so be warned.'

The incident happened when police attended a Dagenham address after reports of a disturbance and a man behaving aggressively at 7.40pm on 30 November last year.

Officers were confronted by Browne who started brandishing the sword and waving it in the officers' faces - Browne was tasered and detained by the officer.

Football news:

Griezmann spoke with Hamilton and visited the Mercedes boxes at the Spanish Grand Prix
Barcelona feels that Neymar used it. He said that he wanted to return, but extended his contract with PSG (RAC1)
Aubameyang to the Arsenal fans: We wanted to give you something good. I am sorry that we could not
Atletico did not lose at the Camp Nou. Busquets' injury is the turning point of the match (and the championship race?)
Verratti injured his knee ligaments in PSG training. Participation in the Euro is still in question
Neymar's contract in one picture. Mbappe wants the same one
Manchester United would like to sign Bellingham in the summer, not Sancho. Borussia do not intend to sell Jude