Victoria has recorded no new COVID-19 cases or deaths on Monday, as Premier Daniel Andrews is slammed for refusing to lift Melbourne's Stage 4 lockdown.
Mr Andrews on Sunday announced easing of restrictions would be 'paused' while health authorities awaited the results of more than 1,000 critical tests - which have since come back negative.
Department of Health and Human Services testing chief Jeroen Weimar later confirmed no additional cases linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak had been detected among the 1135 test results.
The premier acknowledged the community would be frustrated by the delay of 24 to 48 hours, but still hopes to unveil rule changes for Melbourne by Tuesday.
Melbourne's two-week rolling case average fell to 4.6, below the threshold of five that authorities had previously coveted to trigger the next step
No additional cases linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak had been detected among the 1135 test results
The city's two-week rolling case average has fallen to 3.6, below the threshold of five that authorities had previously coveted to trigger the next step.
Meanwhile, the family at the centre of north Melbourne's cluster have criticised health authorities for allowing them to leave isolation.
They say the Department of Health and Human Services cleared the family to leave isolation two days before a child attended school while infectious, sparking the outbreak.
The family, which has asked not to be named, told The Age that the boy was not warned he should stay isolated.
Six of the seven infections reported on Sunday were linked to the cluster, which has swollen to 39 cases across 11 households.
Rather than a 'setback', Mr Andrews dubbed the delay a 'cautious pause' to rule out there wasn't wider community transmission linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak.
'I know it is frustrating,' he told reporters.
'I know people are keen to have a long and detailed list of changes to the rules. It is not appropriate for us to do that now.'
The premier hopes to unveil rule changes by Tuesday and insists Melbourne is 'still well and truly on track' to reopen in keeping with its initial November 1 timetable.
Former Victorian health minister Jenny Mikakos said Sunday's delay was 'unnecessary' after hitting the five-case benchmark, and was evidence of 'paralysis in decision-making'.
Rather than a 'setback', Premier Daniel Andrews dubbed the delay a 'cautious pause' to rule out there wasn't wider community transmission linked to the northern metropolitan outbreak
Six of the seven infections reported on Sunday were linked to the cluster, which has swollen to 39 cases across 11 households
Less surprisingly, Prime Minister Scott Morrison, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg and federal Health Minister Greg Hunt were among public critics of the pause.
The trio said the decision to keep businesses closed suggested the Victorian government did not have 'sufficient confidence' in its contact tracing system to manage future outbreaks.
There was some good news for regional Victoria on Sunday, however, with restrictions to be wound back for some businesses and activities from 11.59pm on Tuesday.
Gyms and fitness studios will be able to open with up to 20 people - 10 per class, group or space - with density limits.
In addition, food courts can reopen and live music is allowed in outdoor hospitality settings.