United Kingdom

Victoria declares coronavirus disaster and sets curfew for Melbourne

A curfew from 8pm to 5am every day will be implemented from Sunday evening in Melbourne, barring the nearly five million people in the city from leaving their houses except for work or to receive or give care.

The sweeping new restrictions limit the time Melbourne residents may spend on outdoor exercise and essential shopping. All schools will move to remote learning from Wednesday.

Supermarkets will remain open, and restaurants, already closed for dining in, will be able to continue with their takeaway and delivery services.

Australia has fared far better than many other countries in keeping coronavirus from spreading, but at a high economic cost. It has recorded around 18,000 coronavirus cases and just over 200 Covid deaths, but the recent surge in Victoria has been difficult to contain.

The state of disaster gives Victorian police additional powers to ensure people are complying with public health directions.

"We have no choice but to make these decisions and to push on," Mr Andrews said.

"This is the only option we have."

Restrictions on movement and business operations elsewhere in the state will be less severe than in Melbourne.

Mr Andrews said further restrictions for Victorian businesses will be announced on Monday.

Neighbouring New South Wales, the most populous state, reported 12 infections on Sunday, with the state now "strongly" recommending the use of face masks in public. 

Australia's state of Victoria declared a disaster on Sunday and imposed a nightly curfew for the capital Melbourne as part of its harshest movement restrictions to date to contain a resurgent Covid-19.

Melbourne, Australia's second-largest city, is already under a reimposed six-week stay-home order but struggling to rein in the disease, with record numbers of infections of coronavirus last week.

On Sunday, Victoria, the second-most populous state, reported 671 infections - one of its highest - and seven Covid deaths.

High numbers of community transmissions and cases of unknown origins have forced the new restrictions, which will be in place for six weeks, officials said.

"The current rules have avoided thousands and thousands of cases each day, and then thousands of people in hospital and many more tragedies than we have seen. But it is not working fast enough," Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews told a televised briefing.

Football news:

Golovin scored and provided an assist in Monaco's friendly with AZ
Mueller Pro 8:2 with Barca: We did not control the game so much even in the match with Brazil in 2014
Ander Herrera: if PSG don't win the Champions League, it won't be a failure
Arsenal are investigating the transfer of Pepe for 72 million pounds. The club wants to find out if he overpaid
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Manchester United knows how much it hurts to lose in the semi-finals. It's time for the leading players to prove themselves
Arsenal announced the departure of sports Director of Sunley
The Bayern coach who destroyed Barca. He was on Lev's staff at 7:1 in Brazil