United Kingdom

Tour operator Jet2 cancels all flights and holidays until mid-June due to the coronavirus crisis

Jet2 has cancelled all flights and holidays until mid-June because restrictions put in place due to the coronavirus pandemic show no sign of easing.

The travel firm, which is Britain's second-biggest holiday company and owned by Dart Group, said in a statement that its holidays and flights would not now restart until June 17, and it would contact customers to discuss their options.

It comes just days after the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) warned Britons against all non-essential travel abroad indefinitely.

Tour operator Jet2 has cancelled all flights and holidays until June 17 due to the coronavirus crisis

A spokeswoman from Jet2 said: 'We are keeping this decision under constant review, in line with guidance from governments and the relevant authorities.'

A spokesman for Tui, Britain's biggest holiday company, said it would provide an update on its plans shortly.

Meanwhile, UK-based budget airline easyJet, which also has a holiday business, has grounded its flights until further notice and British Airways has told customers to keep checking its website for bookings for travel after May 31.

Holiday customers in Britain should be refunded for cancelled trips within 14 days but many have experienced delays due to the sheer number requiring reimbursement and the travel slump causing cash flow problems for many companies.

Last month, a 30-day advisory was put in place by the FCO warning Britons against all non-essential foreign travel until April 15. 

But on Saturday an update was announced by the FCO on Twitter.

It said: 'The Foreign Office indefinitely advises against all non-essential global travel.'

On Saturday, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) warned Britons against all non-essential travel abroad indefinitely

The FCO said British travellers may not be able to return to the UK if they travel abroad. Pictured is an empty arrivals hall at Heathrow's Terminal 5 on April 3

And it added: 'The situation is changing rapidly. Travellers could face severe disruption and be unable to return to the UK.'

It also quietly updated its website to say: 'FCO extends advice against travelling overseas for an indefinite period.'

The FCO also said it was 'ramping up' efforts to bring home thousands of British travellers stranded overseas due to the coronavirus crisis.

Flights have been chartered to bring home Britons from Bolivia, Ecuador, the Philippines and India. 

Football news:

Angel Di Maria: I'm Glad I didn't move to Barca in 2017. I am happy at PSG
The wife of a Serbian from galaxy called for shooting rioters
Modric on how Mourinho criticised Ronaldo: Cristiano almost cried at half-time
Giorgio Chiellini: I came close to leaving Juve twice: to Real Madrid in 2010 and to Manchester City in 2011
Herrera on Neymar and Mbappe: PSG don't sell stars, they buy them
Enrique on the 2015 Champions League final: Told the team: the Worst thing that can happen is to be a Juve player in a match against Barca
Gladbach shows how the concepts of Cruyff and Guardiola can be applied