Three mothers may sue the Government over school closures, claiming it may have breached children’s human rights.
They have written to Education Secretary Gavin Williamson to ask whether the mental welfare of pupils has been considered.
They also fear draconian social distancing rules planned for returning schools could cause long-term psychological damage.
Welfare fears: Campaigners Liz Cole, 46, left, and Christine Brett, 48, right, are two mothers who could sue the government over school closures
Campaigner Christine Brett, who has two children, said: ‘These are healthy children who have been quarantined for 12 weeks – they shouldn’t be treated like they’re germs, disinfected on entry and separated on to individual tables.’
Schools will return today for select year groups for the first time since March 20.
The three mothers launched the Us for Them campaign for parents who say they were made to feel like pariahs for disagreeing with children being kept at home because of Covid-19. Molly Kingsley, 41, Liz Cole, 46, and Mrs Brett, 48, all from Cambridgeshire, have one child returning to school and another still at home.
They said evidence the lockdown harms youngsters’ well-being may have been overlooked. The group is also arguing against extreme distancing as it may breach the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Former lawyer Molly Kingsley (pictured) is one of three mothers who said evidence the lockdown harms youngsters’ well-being may have been overlooked
They have instructed lawyers to examine whether Government actions so far and the distancing plans may have been unlawful.
Former lawyer Mrs Kingsley said if it failed to take into account children’s welfare, they are prepared to sue. Almost 2,000 parents and teachers have backed the campaign.
A Department for Education spokesman insisted the welfare of children had been ‘at the heart of all considerations’.