United Kingdom

Thousands of AFL fans urged to throw out free Grand Final wristbands

An urgent warning has been issued over thousands of free wristbands given to fans at the AFL Grand Final because the batteries inside of them are potentially deadly to the young children who can swallow them.

When Richmond Tigers dominated over Geelong Cats at the AFL Grand Final in Brisbane on Saturday The Gabba was awash with light-up wristbands containing two lithium batteries. 

The following day Kidsafe Queensland urged fans to throw away the flashing bracelets, warning that in the hands of children they can be fatal. 

The charity, aimed at preventing unintentional death and serious injury to children, said the batteries can burn through human tissue if they are ingested.

AFL fans have been urged to immediately throw away the free wristbands handed out at the Grand Final on Saturday as they contain two charged lithium batteries (pictured above) 

Thousands of spectators (pictured at The Gabba on Saturday) were given the light-up wristbands which matched up with the pre-game and halftime performances

'All attendees at the AFL Grand Final in Brisbane were given a wristband containing two fully charged lithium batteries,' the non-profit organisation wrote on Facebook.

'A shocked emergency paediatrician took just two seconds to expose the batteries, which, if swallowed by children can burn through tissues within hours.' 

Kidsafe Queensland also urged fans to 'warn others' to throw away the offending bracelets.

'Share with anyone you know who attended the game to immediately dispose of the bands in the bin,' the post warned. 

'Do not expose the batteries.'    

The wristbands were handed out at the event and lit up during the pre-match and half-time performances.

Local talent including DMA's, Sheppard, Electric Fields and Cub Sport entertained the crowd at the first AFL Grand Final held outside of Victoria.  

The revelation comes just days after a Gold Coast family spoke of their heartbreak at losing their three-year-old daughter after she swallowed a button battery. 

Brittney Conway (pictured above) died on July 28 at the Queensland Children's hospital, three weeks after ingesting a button battery which became embedded in her body

Brittney Conway died on July 28 at the Queensland Children's hospital, three weeks after ingesting a battery which burnt through her oesophagus and into her heart.     

Her parents Lorraine and David Conway were initially told her symptoms could be a result of food poisoning or a virus, before the battery was eventually discovered.  

Brittney was the third child to die in Australia after swallowing a button battery since 2013. 

The round magnetic devices are a common household item often found in television remotes, scales and toys.

When they are swallowed they can burn internal organs, resulting in permanent injury or death.  

Queensland Health said it was conducting a review into Brittney's death.     

Daily Mail Australia has contacted the AFL for comment. 

The three-year-old was the third child to die in Australia after swallowing a button battery (file image button batteries pictured above) since 2013

Football news:

Tuchel after 2:2 with Bordeaux: I always protect the players, but I refuse to do this. You can't play matches of this level
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer: Any decision I make is for the good of Manchester United. The main thing is the result
Mourinho on Tottenham: We don't have the same conditions as some clubs. They create a crazy market
Hazard was injured for the 8th time in 16 months at Real Madrid. He had 12 injuries in 7 years at Chelsea
Frank Lampard: Abramovich is a man who achieves his goals. Without this, it is impossible to achieve his position
Marcelo was actually grabbed by the hair. Clear penalty. Ex-referee Iturralde Gonzalez on the controversial episode in the match of Real Madrid
Gasperini on Atalanta's defeat: the Players are tired. We pay more for national team games than for the Champions League