logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo
star Bookmark: Tag Tag Tag Tag Tag
United Kingdom

Scaffolder, 52, is scarred for life by third degree burns after his vape exploded 'like a rocket'

David Charlton, 52, was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Gateshead after his vape pen exploded in his pocket and set his trousers on fire

A workman has been scarred for life with third degree burns after his vape melted his trousers and exploded 'like a rocket'.

Scaffolder David Charlton, 52, had just arrived at for work when he heard a fizzing noise from the left pocket of his tracksuit bottoms.

Seconds later his trousers were on fire as the vape melted through the fabric and fell onto the seat of the van - where it exploded with 'an almighty boom'.

The father-of-two was rushed to hospital where medics had to peel off the melted fabric and perform skin grafts.

Mr Charlton, from Crawcrook, Gateshead, will be scarred for life and is warning others to only buy vape kits from reputable brands.

He said: 'It went off like a rocket. It was an almighty boom. Everybody froze.

'There was this bizarre moment when I was stood in the middle of the yard without my pants on, because they were on fire.

'But the explosion was unbelievable really. What if it had still been in my pocket?

'I've never felt anything like that before. So dangerous.

Medics had to peel the fabric of his melted tracksuit bottoms from his skin and perform skin grafts. Mr Charlton will now be scarred for life

Mr Charlton is now urging all vapers to make sure they check the source of the vape batteries they buy. Pictured is the vape battery which exploded in Mr Charlton's pocket

'It was excruciating pain. My leg was literally on fire.'

Mr Charlton had just arrived at the yard for work when he heard a fizzing noise at around 7am on June 21.

Ten seconds later, the vape battery set his tracksuit bottoms on fire, and melted through them, falling out of his pocket onto Mr Charlton's seat where it left a huge hole.

He was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he was given morphine before he was transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle. He said: 'It went off like a rocket. It was an almighty boom. Everybody froze. It was excruciating pain. My leg was literally on fire'

He said: 'It got hotter and hotter, until eventually the battery went up in flames.

'I was yelping, trying to put the flames out. But it was no use.

'The battery had melted through my tracksuit bottoms, melting the material onto my skin, which had to be peeled later, and onto the seat.

'The guys at work came over to get me out of the van - and then it exploded.

'For 10 minutes after, I was in a state of shock, really. I couldn't feel anything.

'Someone gave me some trousers to put back on, when someone pointed out that I needed to go to the hospital.

'It was when I was on my way to the hospital, with my leg up on the dashboard, that the pain really kicked in - and it was bloody painful.'

He was rushed to Queen Elizabeth Hospital where he was given morphine before he was transferred to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

A few days later when the wounds became infected, he was admitted to the hospital's burns unit, and had skin grafted from the back of his left leg.

The vape battery set his tracksuit bottoms on fire, and melted through them, falling out of his pocket onto Mr Charlton's seat where it left a huge hole (pictured)

Mr Charlton, who has been with his partner Lynn, 42, for 25 years, has been off work for three weeks, and goes to hospital every other day to have the dressing changed and leg treated.

He said it hasn't impaired his ability to walk, and is 'glad to have both legs'.

A smoker for 20 years, eight of which he's vaped, Mr Charlton is urging all vapers to make sure they check the source of the vape batteries they buy.

His unbranded vape was purchased from an independent high street retail outlet.

He said: 'You have to be so careful they're not from the black market.

'Thank God that it didn't happen when I was driving at 70 miles per hour down the motorway'. 

Themes
ICO