United Kingdom

Royal Marine fights for life in hospital after being found face down in freezing water

A Royal Marine is fighting for life in hospital after being found face down in freezing water during beach assault exercise.

The man was taking part in an exercise on Tregantle beach yesterday when he got into difficulties. 

His comrades gave CPR on the Cornwall beach and he was later airlifted to Derriford Hospital in Plymouth. The Commando is now in a critical condition.

A Royal Marine is fighting for his life after being found face-down in the water off Tregantle beach file image)

Recruits were bailing out of an assault boat as part of the exercise, The Sun reports. 

A source said: 'We were doing a tactical beach landing at Tregantle, and 'Out Troops' was called.

'The recruits got off and then went up to their eyeballs in water. It was below freezing and they were all over the place so the crew recovered them.'

Pictured: Royal Marines training on Tregantle beach, where a commando got into difficulty yesterday and is now fighting for his life 

They later discovered that a recruit was missing and then found him passed out in the water.  

The Royal Navy confirmed that an investigation into the incident has been launched. The recruit has not been named. 

Beach storm drills are one of the last exercises in a Royal Marine's training and are conducted about four weeks before the course concludes.  

Royal Marines are pictured training on Cornwall's Tregantle beach, where a commando was found face-down in water yesterday 

An MoD spokesperson said: 'We are aware of an incident involving a member of the Royal Marines in Plymouth.

'The next of kin have been informed and we ask for privacy for the family at this sad time.'

South Western Ambulance Service, said: 'South Western Ambulance Service was called on Tuesday at 10.01pm about an incident at Tregantle Beach, Cornwall.

'The caller reported to us that a person had gone underwater. We sent land, air and other specialist paramedics to attend the incident.

'They treated a male patient at the scene and he was conveyed by air ambulance for further care.'