United Kingdom
This article was added by the user Anna. TheWorldNews is not responsible for the content of the platform.

Photos show 'harrowing' devastation caused by Kincaidston 'gas' blast

Shocking photos have revealed the extent of the devastation caused by a gas explosion in Scotland yesterday which left two children and two adults in the hospital.  

Residents were evacuated from part of the Kincaidston area in Ayr after last night's explosion, which police say saw four houses damaged. 

Aerial photos released this morning show the scattered debris of the properties hit by the blast, with at least two houses reduced to rubble.

The cause of the explosion has yet to be determined, though local councillor Chris Cullen told BBC Good Morning Scotland that gas was to blame.

He said: 'It is quite harrowing actually. Early yesterday evening there was a row of houses and now there is a hole.

'Two-and-a-half houses are missing. It is quite shocking how far the debris has fallen and the damage it has caused. It has been a gas explosion, the exact details of how that happened aren't released yet.' 

Mr Cullen also said that it could be up to 10 days before people were allowed to return to their homes on the estate. 

Emergency services were called to the scene in the Gorse Park area of Ayr, Ayrshire yesterday at around 7.10pm. Four people, including two children, were rushed to hospital. 

Two rest centres have been set up to take care of residents in the housing estate and a number of neighbouring properties have been evacuated.

Aerial view of the devastation cause by an explosion last night on Kincaidston Drive Ayr, Scotland, which forced locals to evacuate

Two adults and two children have been taken to hospital after last night's explosion at a South Ayrshire housing estate

Emergency services at the scene last night after four people were taken to hospital following the large gas explosion

The explosion was reported in the Kincaidston area of Ayr, Scotland at 19:10 on Monday and was heard for miles around

Inquiries are ongoing to establish the cause of the blast. Scottish Gas Networks said it was ensuring the site around the 'serious explosion' was made safe

Social media users said they heard the explosion from miles away, while pictures shared online showed at least one house badly damaged with debris lying in the street. 

Euan Bryson, who lives in the adjacent housing estate, tweeted a video showing a fire engine on a smoke-filled street in the aftermath of the explosion.

He said: 'Was chaotic. There was personal property and rubble all over the scene.

'The video below doesn't even do the smoke justice. Could scarcely make out peoples' faces.'

Caroline Finnett, who lives in Kincaidston, said she heard a 'massive' bang and then heard sirens and saw smoke billowing. She said her street was littered with broken roof tiles.

She told BBC Scotland: 'We walked up to where the house has been blown away, and it was horrendous - was like something from a movie set. It was overwhelming.

'The house's gone.'

The cause of the explosion has yet to be determined, though local councillor Chris Cullen told BBC Good Morning Scotland that gas was to blame 

Debris at Primrose Park, Ayr. The area around Kincaidston Drive was cordoned off by police who rushed to the scene last night

Debris smashes a taxi windscreen at Primrose Park, Ayr, as three people have been taken to hospital following a large explosion at a house in Gorse Park

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: 'We received a call at 7.16pm to attend an incident at Gorse Park, Ayr, alongside Police Scotland and the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

'We dispatched a number of resources to the scene, including three specialist operations vehicles, six ambulances and an air ambulance.'

Gas distribution company SGN was helping emergency services.

A spokesman said: 'Our engineers are currently assisting the emergency services to ensure the immediate vicinity is made safe in our role as the gas emergency service.'

The fire service said there were still two appliances at the scene at 9.10am on Tuesday morning.