United Kingdom

Parents of electrocuted boy, seven, weep as court sees CCTV of his final moments

The parents of a seven-year-old boy who was electrocuted by 'significantly faulty' pub garden lights wept in court as CCTV was shown of his final moments.  

Harvey Tyrrell died on September 11 2018 after he suffered an electric shock in the garden of the King Harold pub in Romford, east London, when he sat on a light on a low wall. 

Electrician Colin Naylor, 73, is accused of 'raising his eyebrows' at the state of the electrics at the pub three months before Harvey died.

The little boy collapsed in front of his parents after sitting on the lights and touching a metal railing that electrocuted him, jurors were told.

Police rushed to the King Harold pub in Harold Wood, near Romford, Essex, following the incident at around 5.20pm on September 11, 2018.

Harvey was found unresponsive and he was rushed to hospital, but he died just over an hour later.

Harvey's mother Danielle and father Lewis wept and hugged at Snaresbrook Crown Court as footage of their son playing happily with a friend just moments before the tragedy was shown. 

Colin Naylor (pictured yesterday), 73, is accused of 'raising his eyebrows' at the state of the electrics at the pub three months before Harvey Tyrrell died in Essex

Harvey (pictured) collapsed in front of his parents after sitting on the lights and touching a metal railing that electrocuted him, jurors were told

Police rushed to the King Harold pub (pictured) in Harold Wood, near Romford, Essex, following the incident at around 5.20pm on September 11, 2018

The light fixtures are said to have had powerful stolen electricity running through the rig without proper safety mechanisms, the court was told.

Jurors heard there were several points where water had fallen into the defects that only made the entire venue more dangerous.

Naylor, who worked at the pub with his brother-in-law David Bearman, is accused of 'raising his eyebrows' at the state of the electrics three months before the tragedy.

The electrician denies gross negligence manslaughter after a post-mortem found the cause of death was electrocution.

He also faces a separate charge of failing in his duty as an electrician by not installing or maintaining the electrics in a way that prevented and protected others.

The court heard Bearman, the landlord of the King Harold, has already pleaded guilty to gross negligence manslaughter and stealing tens of thousands of pounds of electricity last year.

Snaresbrook Crown Court heard Bearman (pictured), the landlord of the King Harold, has already pleaded guilty to gross negligence manslaughter and stealing tens of thousands of pounds of electricity last year

Harvey's father Lewis said he was told his son had 'fallen from a wall' - but when he ran outside, he realised Harvey was seriously injured.

'He was making gasping sounds. I thought he was unconscious but then the gaps between the gasps got longer, and his breathing became shallower,' he said.

'I couldn't get my head around it, especially when someone said he had stopped breathing.

'It seemed like forever waiting for the ambulance to come. I could see the helicopter above but they couldn't seem to find anywhere to land.' 

Duncan Penny QC, prosecuting, said: 'In the garden of a public house in Romford where he was playing with a friend of his, Harvey Tyrrell, who at the time was a seven-year-old boy, was killed when he was electrocuted as a result of the unsafe installation of an electrical lighting circuit in that garden.

'Harvey had been taken to the King Harold that afternoon by his mum and dad.

'The prosecution's case is that, together with another man - who was the owner of the premises - this defendant, Colin Naylor, who was the electrician who installed that lighting circuit in the garden of the public house is responsible for the manslaughter of Harvey.

'The Crown's case is that the defendant was grossly negligent in the installation of that lighting circuit and in the discharge of his duty as an electrician working at those premises to ensure safety - familiar as he was with the state of the premises in question, having worked there as he had for an extended period during the spring and the summer of 2018.'

The prosecutor said the electrical lighting circuit contained numerous significant faults and showed pictures and diagrams to jury that showed how easy it was for Harvey to 'stretch his arms and touch the metal railing, and therefore completing the circuit.'

He said: 'There was in this circuit, which was installed outside, inadequate insulation in the installation of the fixings and the wiring to prevent ingress of water, or water getting into the fixings and the wirings, and other faults - which gave rise in the opinion of the experts who looked at it, to the existence of live charge on the garden light which little Harvey touched that day.

'When young Harvey both touched one of the garden lights, by sitting on it, and took hold of some nearby metal railings which were behind him it seems clear that electricity then flowed through Harvey's body, causing him fatal damage.

'He collapsed to the ground in front of another boy with whom he was playing and these events were watched by a number of adults in the area who went immediately to assist him.

Harvey was found unresponsive and he was rushed to hospital, but he died just over an hour later. Pictured: Police outside the pub

'Contact was made with the emergency services who attended shortly afterwards but sadly it was to no avail and the conclusion of the forensic pathologist who conducted a post mortem examination on Harvey's body was that he had been electrocuted.'

The court heard that Naylor had done several electrical jobs on the pub in the Spring and Summer of 2018, and even he had cause for concern about Bearman's previous work, who had bought the property for £900,000 in 2010.

Mr Penny said: 'There can be no doubt that when the Health and Safety Executive came to inspect Mr Bearman's premises in September 2018 in the aftermath of these events, overall the premises were very dangerous.

'The defendant told the police officers that as an electrician of 50 years experience when he had cause to look at one of the distribution boards, known as fuse boards, in the basement of the public house the state of it had caused him, as he put it, to 'raise his eyebrows'.

'He accepted that, when shown it by Mr Bearman, he had indeed thought that the fuse board area needed some attention but in due course he had decided having spoken to Mr Bearman that he did not 'want to get involved in that side of it'.

'The Crown suggests that it is against that background that the defendant's conduct in the installation of the garden lights should be judged.

'After proper inspection, the whole distribution board was not properly connected to earth and the earthing of electrical circuits is a key safety feature in all electrical circuits which are installed domestically.'

Naylor, who wore a striped shirt, navy jumper, dark padded coat and a medical face mask in the dock, denies the charges.

The trial continues.

Football news:

Cavani has returned to training and is likely to play against Crystal Palace
Fabio Capello, Juventus played Rugby against the Port. Only Ronaldo and Chiesa can make a difference in this squad
Neymar: I posted how I was recovering from my injury, and I didn't get any messages saying, Wow, what a professional. No
Ole Gunnar Solscher: The work of the judges is very difficult and without additional pressure. We have to make their decisions
Joan Laporta: I'm sure Messi won't stay at Barca if I don't win the election. He gives the club 30% of revenue
Trent had idolized Gerrard since he was a kid, and he was in a fairy tale: he got Steven's care and the captain's armband. The story of a great relationship
Hazard's recovery from the injury is delayed. He probably won't play against Atletico on March 7